Manchester United say decision to sack David Moyes was made late Monday night
News of Moyes' imminent dismissal was broken by various news outlets, including The Independent, around 2.20pm on Monday
Manchester United claim the decision to sack David Moyes was not made until “late” Monday night.
The club also deny the dismissal of the Scot was handled unprofessionally.
The Independent, among other national newspaper websites, broke the news that Moyes was to be relieved of his duties after less than 10 months in charge around 2.20pm on Easter Monday.
The club initially refused to comment on the widespread reports. However, early Tuesday morning, the club tweeted that Moyes had left the club.
Manchester United have communicated that the decision to sack Moyes was not taken until late Monday night and the Scot was told face-to-face on Tuesday morning.
The club added that when reports started emerging on internet news sites on Monday afternoon, no decision had been taken at that time.
Read more: WHY VAN GAAL WOULD GET MORE OUT OF RVP THAN MOYES
UNITED SEE SHARE PRICE SOAR AFTER MOYES SACKING
GIGGS NAMED CARETAKER MANAGER
The Independent understands that the decision to part company with the former Everton manager was sanctioned by the Glazer family, who own the club, as far back as the Champions League defeat at Olympiakos on 25 February.
The decision to wait to get rid of the 50-year-old until after the defeat to Everton on Sunday had a financial motive.
The mathematical impossibility of United finishing in the top four this season, following their 11th Premier League defeat of the season at Goodison Park, means that United need only give Moyes a one-year pay-off under the terms of his five-year deal, rather than honour the full four years left on that contract.
A Manchester United spokesman said today: "We do not accept it was handled in an unprofessional manner".
That statement appeared to be in defence of the club following the League Managers Association's criticism of the handling of Moyes' dismissal.
LMA chief executive, Richard Bevan said in a statement "The LMA is very disappointed with the nature of David's departure from Manchester United and to read extensive reports in the press, confirming David's sacking, before David himself had been spoken to officially by the club.
"Throughout his time at United, David, as he always does, has conducted himself with integrity and professionalism, values that he believes in and that have been strongly associated with the club and its rich tradition. It is therefore sad to see the end of David's tenure at United being handled in an unprofessional manner.
"David is one of the most talented, knowledgeable and dedicated managers in British football. He has a wealth of experience accumulated in a management career that started when he was 35 and already spans 16 years, with over 800 games in the professional game. David is a three-time winner of the LMA Manager of the Year Award, and without a doubt, he has a significant future in front of him in football management. He is passionate about the game and I know he possesses the drive and resilience to learn from this chapter of his career and move on to a new challenge in the game."
Latest in Sport
Paul Scholes: Manchester United vs Liverpool - I don't understand why Brendan Rodgers was not more attacking against Basel
Jesus Christ plays for Chelsea - that's what one in five children thinks
Transfer Talk: Nemanja Vidic to return to Manchester United; Hazard to leave Chelsea; Sunderland want Radamel Falcao
Frank Warren column: Don't bet on Amir Khan landing pay day against Floyd Mayweather
Manchester United transfer news: Kevin Strootman move edges closer
- 2 Harry Potter fans can apply to the Hogwarts-inspired College of Wizardry
- 3 Jessica Chambers: 19-year-old woman 'doused with lighter fluid and burned alive' in the US
- 4 Russell Brand calls Nigel Farage 'poundshop Enoch Powell' in BBC Question Time debate
- 5 Orange Wednesdays are no more
Disgruntled RBS worker writes hilarious open letter to Russell Brand after anti-capitalist publicity stunt leaves him hungry
Nigel Farage defends Kerry Smith 'ch***y' comment: 'If you are going for a Chinese, what do you say you’re going for?'
Nigel Farage's approval rating hits 'record low' as popularity suffers in wake of Ukip sex scandal
Pakistan school attack live: Taliban kill at least 132 children in 'horrifying' massacre
Sony hack: Angelina Jolie branded 'seriously out of her mind' in further embarrassing leaked email saga
Panic Saturday: 13 million Britons spend £1.2bn – while 13 million others across the country live in poverty unable to afford food