Mario Balotelli hit with four-match ban
City unlikely to appeal as FA take swift action over Parker stamp but no case for Lescott to answer
Mario Balotelli's gravest misdemeanour in a tempestuous 18-month Premier League career saw him charged with violent conduct and given a four-game ban by the Football Association last night, for an alleged stamp on Tottenham's Scott Parker.
The FA charged the Italian after the referee, Howard Webb, notified the governing body that he had not seen the incident in City's 3-2 win over Tottenham on Sunday. Having viewed video footage of the game, Webb indicated that he would have sent off Balotelli if he had spotted the challenge.
Webb's report, delivered yesterday, left the FA to use its own discretion. The statutory three-game ban for violent conduct was increased to four because Balotelli has been sent off once before this season, at Liverpool. If City do not appeal the ban it will start with immediate effect, which means the 21-year-old will miss tomorrow night's Carling Cup semi-final second leg at Liverpool as well as Premier League matches at Everton, at home to Fulham and at Aston Villa.
Though the City manager, Roberto Mancini, was infuriated by the FA's decision to impose the same-length ban on his captain, Vincent Kompany, for a challenge on Manchester United's Nani earlier this month, Balotelli's challenge, which left Parker with a cut to the head, looks more difficult to defend. If City appeal they will run the risk of having the ban extended to five games on the basis of their appeal appearing frivolous. An appeal, which would result in a hearing at Wembley on Friday, appears unlikely.
No action has been taken by the FA against City's Joleon Lescott, who appeared to have directed a blow with his arm to Younes Kaboul's face. Webb said he had not seen this incident either but indicated to the FA that he would not have taken action if he had seen the defender's challenge.
Webb was a few yards away from the Balotelli incident, but appeared to be following the direction of the ball. The FA looked hard at the 84th-minute challenge. The BBC pundit Lee Dixon argued that Balotelli ought to be given the benefit of the doubt, since he did not appear to be looking at Parker after a shot had been blocked by the England midfielder. Otherwise there was widespread condemnation of a type of challenge that Harry Redknapp, the Spurs manager, claimed Balotelli had committed before.
Greater Manchester Police received two complaints from the public yesterday, relating to Balotelli's apparent stamp, though the pursuit of criminal charges against the Italian would require a complaint from Parker. Police forces leave the FA to deal with such issues, when there is no complaint from a player, though there is a history of the Greater Manchester force taking an active involvement. When Ben Thatcher elbowed Pedro Mendes in August 2006, resulting in Mendes requiring oxygen – but the referee Dermot Gallagher only issued a yellow card – the force said they would act if the FA failed to do so. Thatcher was suspended and fined six weeks' wages by City, and given an eight-match ban by the FA.
Mancini has also confirmed that there is no question of Carlos Tevez playing for the club again.
Geoffrey Macnab reviews American Hustle, also starring Christian Bale and Bradley Cooper
Michelle Nijhuis' daughter insists (s)he is, and she learnt a valuable lesson on gender in books
It takes a platoon of chefs, litres of brandy and rum, and almost 100kg of dried fruit
Latest in Sport
Mesut Ozil reveals he really is the Superman at Arsenal, Jack Wilshere is Batman and don't make Lukas Podolski angry - it's the Arsenal Christmas Party
Transfer news: Liverpool - January transfer targets
Transfer news: Manchester United - January transfer targets
Transfer news: Chelsea - January transfer targets
Transfer news: Arsenal - Transfer targets for January
- 1 America's 'virgin births'? One in 200 mothers 'became pregnant without having sex'
- 2 Sun will 'flip upside down' within weeks, says Nasa
- 3 Christmas comes early: Justin Bieber is 'retiring from music'
- 4 Iain Duncan Smith leaves Commons food banks debate early
- 5 Children evacuated from swimming pool after prosthetic leg mistaken for paedophile