Mark Hughes dismisses Bayern Munich link
Thursday 17 March 2011
Mark Hughes today admitted it was "flattering" to be linked with the Bayern Munich job following reports he was their number one target to replace Louis van Gaal.
But Hughes insisted he had no intention of quitting Fulham this summer as he was loving life at Craven Cottage.
Hughes is reportedly top of a three-man shortlist to succeed Van Gaal - who was told last week his contract was not being renewed - and is up against Bayer Leverkusen's Jupp Heynckes and former Germany captain Matthias Sammer.
"It's very flattering but I'm quite happy doing what I'm doing at the moment," said the Cottagers boss, who played for Bayern on loan from Barcelona in the late 1980s.
"Sometimes, when a job becomes vacant then people look around to see whether there are any connections in terms of past playing careers or whatever.
"I think there's no more in it than that."
Hughes boasts an impressive managerial record, having boosted the fortunes of Wales, Blackburn and Manchester City, who controversially sacked him just over a year ago.
He has also overcome a difficult start at Fulham to stabilise them in mid-table in the Barclays Premier League, something which has not gone unnoticed.
The 47-year-old, who is under contract until the end of next season, admitted managing overseas was on his long-term agenda.
"If opportunities in the future present themselves, I think it would be part of my football education and something that I'd want to do," he said.
"But I'm not looking to do it at the moment.
He added: "I'm enjoying my work. I think it's a great club and we're going in the right direction.
"Certainly, if we can invest more in the players next year as well then I think we can kick on."
Hughes was confident his spending power would not be weakened by the club's latest accounts, which this week showed they had made a loss of £16.9million, up £10million from the previous year.
"Those losses I don't think were unexpected, so they'll be factored in," said Hughes.
"I don't think it'll have any impact on what I want to do in the summer."
Money is inevitably tight at Fulham and Hughes may need to get players off the wage bill to help raise cash to spend when the transfer window re-opens.
One man who appears surplus to requirements is Diomansy Kamara, who Hughes revealed today would be allowed to join Leicester on loan.
"I've obviously put the option to 'Joe' because he's out of the team at the moment and I think it's something that he's discussing with his advisors," Hughes said of the striker, whose contract expires at the end of the season.
"He's a little bit frustrated because he's not in the first 18 at the moment.
"He may feel that from now until the end of the season, he wants to play more games."
Kamara, who also spent the second half of last season on loan at Celtic, has become more and more marginalised as Fulham's injured forwards have recovered, most recently Bobby Zamora.
Fellow long-term absentee Philippe Senderos has suffered a setback in his recovery from a serious Achilles injury, a hamstring strain meaning he will not be fit for Saturday's trip to Everton.
Midfielder Dickson Etuhu is also a doubt with a similar problem.
Latest in Sport
- 1 Planes go hybrid-electric in important step to greener flight
- 4 Hip hop is both racial and political, and for Iggy Azalea to suggest otherwise is insulting
- 5 Man hospitalised with pneumonia after downing eggnog at office Christmas party
British actor Idris Elba cannot star as James Bond because he is black, says shock jock Rush Limbaugh
Rozanne Duncan: Ukip expels councillor for 'jaw-dropping' comments made in BBC TV interview
Germany anti-Islam protests: 17,000 march on Dresden against 'Islamification of the West'
Ukip member gets into Christmas spirit with Union Flag plea to Santa 'for our country back'
BBC director Danny Cohen: Rising UK antisemitism makes me feel more uncomfortable than ever
Alex Salmond has 'broken his word to the Scottish people' says Scottish Lib Dem leader