Martinez move is delayed after compensation claim
Friday 12 June 2009
Wigan's plan to unveil Roberto Martinez as their new manager descended into farce yesterday. While Martinez sat patiently in Wigan expecting to be presented to the waiting media, a sudden and unexpected hitch developed behind the scenes, meaning that he effectively remains the manager of Swansea after the Championship team demanded compensation for the backroom staff he wants to take to his new club.
The dispute centres around his assistant Graeme Jones, chief scout Kevin Reeves, goalkeeping coach Inaki Bergara, physio Richie Evans and fitness coach Oscar Brau.
A Wigan spokesman said: "There is going to be no resolution today as we are still talking to Swansea."
Earlier Wigan chief executive Brenda Spencer appeared alone at a press conference to reveal that the formalities over the Spaniard's deal could not be completed until an agreement was reached over his support team. She said they had been unable to contact Swansea chairman Huw Jenkins since Wednesday night – when she held further talks with Martinez – but were still hopeful of concluding the deal.
"We have an agreement with Roberto verbally but he cannot sign to be our manager until Swansea sign the agreement between the two clubs," she said. "It's absolutely frustrating because at no time over the last week have Swansea ever mentioned anything about backroom staff."
Latest in Sport
Don't mess with me, Diego Costa warns Manchester City ahead of Chelsea clash
Colombian women's cycling team kit that makes wearer appear naked is branded 'unacceptable' by UCI president
West Ham vs Liverpool match report: Reds are caught cold by hot Hammers
Florida State quarter-back Jameis Winston suspended for half-a-game for yelling 'F*** her right in the p****'
Aston Villa vs Arsenal team news: Alexis Sanchez incorrectly named in starting line-up as Alex Oxlade-Chamerlain called up to start
- 1 Scottish referendum: So how about the English now being given a chance to split from England?
- 2 Stamford Hill council removes 'unacceptable' posters telling women which side of the road to walk down
- 3 Kim Kardashian 'nude pictures' leaked on 4chan weeks after Jennifer Lawrence 'The Fappening' scandal
- 4 Matthew Miller: American sentenced to hard labour in North Korea 'wanted to be Snowden II'
- 5 Iranian blogger found guilty of insulting Prophet Mohammad on Facebook sentenced to death