Wigan's plan to unveil Roberto Martinez as their new manager descended into farce yesterday. While Martinez sat patiently in Wigan expecting to be presented to the waiting media, a sudden and unexpected hitch developed behind the scenes, meaning that he effectively remains the manager of Swansea after the Championship team demanded compensation for the backroom staff he wants to take to his new club.
The dispute centres around his assistant Graeme Jones, chief scout Kevin Reeves, goalkeeping coach Inaki Bergara, physio Richie Evans and fitness coach Oscar Brau.
A Wigan spokesman said: "There is going to be no resolution today as we are still talking to Swansea."
Earlier Wigan chief executive Brenda Spencer appeared alone at a press conference to reveal that the formalities over the Spaniard's deal could not be completed until an agreement was reached over his support team. She said they had been unable to contact Swansea chairman Huw Jenkins since Wednesday night – when she held further talks with Martinez – but were still hopeful of concluding the deal.
"We have an agreement with Roberto verbally but he cannot sign to be our manager until Swansea sign the agreement between the two clubs," she said. "It's absolutely frustrating because at no time over the last week have Swansea ever mentioned anything about backroom staff."