Mascherano and Reina set for new Liverpool deals
Friday 05 March 2010
Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez is confident midfielder Javier Mascherano and goalkeeper Jose Reina will sign new contracts with the club before the end of the season.
Argentina captain Mascherano was strongly linked with a move to Barcelona in the summer but Benitez is convinced the player now wants to stay at Anfield.
"I was talking with him and his agent the other day and it is true Javier is happier," Benitez said. "The conversations were very positive. When you talk with Javier he is very settled and happy.
"Everyone knew about some clubs (being interested in him) but talking with us he was fine."
Asked if a deal would be struck before the end of the season, the Spaniard added: "I think so."
Benitez said Reina's commitment to a new deal was "100%".
"Pepe is another key player and it is 100% he will continue with us," he added. "Everything is very close. I think we will have news about Reina and Mascherano very soon."
Latest in Sport
- 1 'Women should not laugh in public,' says Turkey's Deputy Prime Minister in morality speech
- 2 The secret report that helps Israel hide facts
- 3 Is Ebola coming to Britain? UK health officials issue warning to doctors as outbreak fears grow
- 4 Richard Dawkins says 'date rape is bad, stranger rape is worse' on Twitter
- 5 Danish TV reporter is all business up top, all party down below
The secret report that helps Israel hide facts
A day in the life of Vladimir Putin: The dictator in his labyrinth
Woman and two children killed by mob in riots over 'blasphemous' Facebook post in Pakistan
Putin is 'thuggish, dishonest and reckless', says British ambassador to US
Boozy, ignorant, intolerant, but very polite – Britain as others see us
A new Russian revolution: The cracks are starting to appear in Putin’s Kremlin power bloc