Mascherano Liverpool talks on hold
Liverpool midfielder Javier Mascherano's contract negotiations are unlikely to be resolved until after the World Cup.
The Argentina captain has been in discussions over a new deal for three months and it was anticipated an agreement would be reached by the end of the season.
He was expected to follow the lead of goalkeeper Jose Reina, who signed a new six-year contract last month, but so far nothing has been finalised.
And with the players having been released by the club for the summer - which for many means preparations for next month's World Cup - it seems likely Mascherano's improved contract will not be sorted until the middle of July at the earliest.
Back in March, manager Rafael Benitez said he expected the midfielder to sign his new deal by the end of the Barclays Premier League campaign.
Now that has not happened it leaves open the prospect that a good tournament for the 25-year-old will lead to more speculation over his future.
There was a similar scenario last summer when Barcelona were heavily linked with a move for the Argentinian before the departure of fellow midfielder Xabi Alonso to Real Madrid resulted in Benitez slapping a £50million price-tag on the player.
Aside from Mascherano's contract, Benitez - who has stressed he is keen to stay at the club despite his own future coming under intense scrutiny - has other plans to put in place before the players return for pre-season training in mid-July.
A seventh-place finish in the Premier League means the club will begin their Europa League campaign in the third qualifying round , which starts on July 29 - the same stage at which this season's runners-up Fulham entered.
That date is just 18 days after the World Cup final, which Liverpool could conceivably have players involved in.
Benitez is obviously not happy about the scenario but begrudgingly accepts it is something which is happening more regularly.
"We have to prepare. We have pre-season more or less organised and we now have to analyse carefully the schedule and see if we can organise the fixtures properly," said the Spaniard.
"Last year we had too many players away with the Confederations Cup (also in South Africa) so the teams are suffering with these tournaments and every year it is more and more so it is not easy."
Latest in Sport
Liverpool injury news: Brendan Rodgers could be without up to seven players for Burnley game... as Jordon Ibe posts picture of knee brace
Pornhub: Cheeky Liverpool fan uploads Philippe Coutinho wonder-goal video to adult website
Watch the moment a basketball player reassures a small boy after a mass brawl erupted on court
Jon Stewart brings The Daily Show to WWE Raw as Seth Rollins pays the price for feud with TV presenter
Manuel Pellegrini future: Why Manchester City could turn to Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers if Pellegrini is dismissed
- 1 Home Office says Nigerian asylum-seeker can’t be a lesbian as she’s got children
- 2 What happens to your body when you give up sugar?
- 3 Japanese island overrun with cats after population explodes
- 4 Apple and Google users being spied on for a decade because of 'Freak' security flaw
- 5 Have sex with your iPad thanks to the new sex toy no-one asked for
'Jihadi John': CAGE representative storms off Sky News accusing Kay Burley of Islamophobia
Durham Free School: 'Creationism taught at' free school facing closure
Nearly 100,000 of Britain's poorest children go hungry after parents' benefits are cut
Ukip would cut billions from Scottish budget to fund English tax cuts
End of the licence fee: BBC to back radical overhaul of how it is funded
Ukraine crisis: Top Chinese diplomat backs Putin and says West should 'abandon zero-sum mentality'