Michael Owen not leaving Stoke City insists Tony Pulis
Former England international has made just one start
Thursday 10 January 2013
Stoke boss Tony Pulis has stressed he wants to see Michael Owen remain with the club for the rest of the season.
Former England striker Owen's first-team playing time for the Potters since joining them in the summer has been restricted to four substitute appearances and then a start in last weekend's 0-0 FA Cup third-round draw at Crystal Palace, where he struggled to make an impact before being substituted in the 53rd minute.
Reports have linked the 33-year-old with a January transfer window switch to Perth Glory, whose coach Ian Ferguson has ruled out the prospect of a move but said the Australian outfit had been contacted by "an agent" to see if they were interested in Owen and that the matter was "discussed at a good level".
Asked about that this morning, Pulis, speaking ahead of Saturday's Barclays Premier League home clash with Chelsea, said: "Is it true, is it not true? You just don't know.
"I read a story yesterday in the papers that (Manchester United striker) Danny Welbeck was available.
"Ask (United manager) Sir Alex Ferguson what he thinks about that. You have to deal with it.
"Michael has got a contract until the end of the season and as far as I'm concerned, he has not come in and said he wants to change it.
"We haven't pulled Michael in and said we want to change that. So Michael will be part of the football club hopefully until the end of the season."
There has also been talk of another Stoke frontman, Kenwyne Jones, being targeted by Swansea.
Questioned about that, Pulis - who reiterated that he is looking to bring players in during the current window - said: "There is Kenwyne, there has been interest from other clubs in other players.
"There is loads of stuff going on - it is the silly season. So we will let the silly season run and we will decide what is right for the football club and the players.
"We always take everything into consideration at this football club, and if it right for the players and the football club, we will do business. If not, then we'll get on with things."
Latest in Sport
Pornhub: Cheeky Liverpool fan uploads Philippe Coutinho wonder-goal video to adult website
Diego Costa keeps coin thrown at him during Capital One Cup final
Lukas Podolski corner: Has the Arsenal forward taken the worst corner of all time?
Tim Sherwood: 'Escape the drop and I’ll make sure Aston Villa do not suffer this again'
Ireland 19 England 9 player ratings: Jonathan Sexton? Devin Toner? Alex Goode? Who was the star man in Dublin?
- 1 This restaurant has misunderstood the concept of 'cheese and biscuits'
- 2 Delhi bus rapist blames dead victim for attack because 'girls are responsible for rape'
- 3 PornHub turns masturbation into energy in bid to save the planet
- 4 Have sex with your iPad thanks to the new sex toy no-one asked for
- 5 The 'sex selfie stick' lets you FaceTime the inside of a vagina
New theory could prove how life began and disprove God
'Jihadi John': CAGE representative storms off Sky News accusing Kay Burley of Islamophobia
This is what it's like to be dead, according to a guy who died for a bit
Ukip would cut billions from Scottish budget to fund English tax cuts
Nearly 100,000 of Britain's poorest children go hungry after parents' benefits are cut
End of the licence fee: BBC to back radical overhaul of how it is funded