Newcastle confirm capture of French striker Yoan Gouffran
Striker joins from Bordeaux on four-and-a-half year deal
Newcastle have signed a second French player in the space of 24 hours after confirming the arrival of forward Yoan Gouffran from Bordeaux last night.
The 26-year-old has joined for an undisclosed fee, agreeing a four-and-a-half year deal.
His arrival comes on the same day as Newcastle unveiled defender Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa who joined from Montpellier on Tuesday.
Gouffran, a former France Under-21 international, scored 40 goals in 179 appearances for Bordeaux in a four-and-a-half year spell since signing from Caen.
He will now be charged with scoring the goals Newcastle need to climb away from the relegation battle at the foot of the Barclays Premier League.
Gouffran said: "I am really proud to have joined this fantastic club.
"Throughout the last few years I have enjoyed every moment of my time at Bordeaux but all good things must come to an end and it was time for a new challenge.
"And the challenge of playing for one of the most famous teams in England, with all of its history and its famous support, is very exciting."
His new boss Alan Pardew said Gouffran's talent stood out to him when Newcastle faced Bordeaux in the Europa League earlier this season.
"Yoan comes to the club with a great pedigree and, like the other signings we have made this month, is a player who will add considerable strength to our squad," he said.
"I liked the look of him when we played Bordeaux at St. James' Park earlier this season; pacy, direct and intelligent and those are qualities I like in a footballer.
"I am sure he will quickly adapt to the rigours and intensity of the Premier League and play an important role for us for the remainder of the season."
Latest in Sport
McDowell did brilliantly to land the World Match Play title in Bulgaria last week, but it’s a format...
by Gareth Purnell
23 May 2013 09:13 AM
Wow - what a weekend for British Motorcycle racing!
by Luke Wilkins
22 May 2013 05:00 AM
The dust is barely settling on the Premier League season and the bookies are looking to persuade us ...
by Gareth Purnell
22 May 2013 02:01 AM
Roy Hodgson shuts the England door on Manchester City midfielder Gareth Barry
On-loan goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois still believes in Chelsea youth policy
After racist remark, Sergio Garcia fights for reputation as Tiger Woods slams 'hurtful' fried chicken joke
Manuel Pellegrini must decide on futures of Carlos Tevez, Gareth Barry and Joleon Lescott as Manchester City name starting date for new manager
Liverpool striker Andy Carroll delays over West Ham move
- 1 Exclusive: Woolwich attack suspect was known to banned terror group and security services
- 2 'Sickening, deluded and unforgivable': Horrific attack brings terror to London’s streets
- 3 Grace Dent: I’m not sure how these people can avoid being called ‘bigots’. And the more ‘civilised’, the worse they are
- 4 Ingrid Loyau-Kennett, the mother-of-two hailed as a hero for confronting Woolwich attackers, thought: 'better me than a child'
- 5 Woolwich attack: The EDL will seek to exploit this evil crime for their own evil ends
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.