Newcastle edging towards deal for Toulouse midfielder Moussa Sissoko
Magpies have been incredibly active during the current transfer window
Thursday 24 January 2013
Newcastle were today closing in on another potential signing as they edged towards a deal to land Toulouse midfielder Moussa Sissoko.
Press Association Sport understands the Magpies are hopeful of clinching an agreement for the 23-year-old Frenchman after already signing compatriots Mathieu Debuchy, Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa and Yoan Gouffran this month.
However, it remains to be seen whether Sissoko would arrive on Tyneside before the end of the winter transfer, or sign a pre-contract agreement which would see him join formally during the summer.
Newcastle have received encouragement from the player, who has indicated his interest in heading for St James' Park.
Sissoko told L'Equipe: "This is a club that attracts me. I have confidence in his group [of players] over what they did last season.
"In addition, the leaders have invested a lot in quality French players. They will rise in the second half of the season.
"All these French [players], it is reassuring. I know them well and it will facilitate my integration "
The Magpies are also pressing ahead with their move for Nancy's 20-year-old full-back Massadio Haidara as manager Alan Pardew attempts to boost his squad further for a tense fight against relegation.
Meanwhile, skipper Fabricio Coloccini reported to the training ground this morning amid speculation that he has told the club he will not play for them again.
The 31-year-old Argentina international's representatives met officials earlier this week to discuss his desire to return to South America because of personal problems.
Pardew is understandably keen to retain the services of one of his most dependable players and has resisted attempts by Argentinian club San Lorenzo to prise him from Newcastle's grasp.
However, the matter remains unresolved and efforts to find a solution are ongoing.
Latest in Sport
World Cup 2014 draw: Greg Dyke makes 'cut throat' gesture after England are drawn in 'Group of Death'
Ashes 2013-14: Mitchell Johnson is proving England are spent force
Ashes 2013-14: England's batsmen have got 'no bottle' says Geoffrey Boycott
World Cup draw 2014: England drawn with holders Spain in official Group Stage rehearsal
Manchester United 0 Newcastle United 1 match report: David Moyes powerless to prevent dismal defeat
- 1 Hundreds arrested as Canadian police smash worldwide paedophile ring
- 2 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 3 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 4 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 5 People will try to reduce Mandela to a lilting reggae tune about ‘love’. They will fail