Newcastle United vs Manchester City player ratings: David Silva, Edin Dzeko, Vincent Kompany - who was the star man?
Newcastle United 0 Manchester City 2
Sunday 17 August 2014
Defending champions Manchester City began their Premier League campaign with a 2-0 victory over Newcastle at St. James' Park on Sunday.
David Silva scored in the 38th minute with a left-foot shot inside the area past Newcastle goalkeeper Tim Krul.
Silva was cleverly set up with a back heeled pass by Edin Dzeko.
Sergio Aguero made it 2-0 in the second minute of stoppage time after Krul did well to save his first attempt.
But who was the man of the match? Click through the galley below...
City take on Liverpool at the Etihad Stadium next Monday, while Newcastle travel to Aston Villa on Saturday.
Latest in Sport
- 1 Exclusive: Abusers using spyware apps to monitor partners reaches 'epidemic proportions'
- 2 Margaret Thatcher 'expressed fears of Asian rising' at Anglo-Irish summit in 1984
- 3 Sussex couple die in suspected Christmas Day 'suicide pact'
- 4 The 'Black Museum': After 150 years, public set to see exhibits from police’s grisly crime museum
- 5 The Unluckiest People of the Year 2014 (and one very unlucky giraffe)
British actor Idris Elba cannot star as James Bond because he is black, says shock jock Rush Limbaugh
Germany anti-Islam protests: 17,000 march on Dresden against 'Islamification of the West'
Ukip member gets into Christmas spirit with Union Flag plea to Santa 'for our country back'
Immigrants make UK racist, says Ukip councillor Trevor Shonk
BBC director Danny Cohen: Rising UK antisemitism makes me feel more uncomfortable than ever
Katie Hopkins speaks out on childhood obesity: 'Parents of fat children should be prosecuted for child cruelty'