Nigel Adkins faces grim reality at Reading after defeat to Southampton
Reading 0 Southampton 2
Nigel Adkins will have been left with few illusions after Reading went down 2-0 at home to his former club Southampton.
Despite his perennial positive attitude, Saturday’s clear defeat was Reading’s eighth in a row in all competitions and the new manager must have been horrified by the defending that has cost six goals in his first two games.
Southampton, in contrast, have three Premier League wins in succession for the first time in almost 10 years. The Saints manager, Mauricio Pochettino, certainly has a thriving partnership in Rickie Lambert and Jay Rodriguez, both of whom were outstanding on Saturday. Of Rodriguez, who scored the first goal and made the second for Adam Lallana, he said: “The sky is the limit for him. I don’t see a roof – there is no limit.”
Man of the match Rodriguez.
Match rating 6/10.
Possession: Reading 40%. Southampton 60%.
Attempts on target: Reading 2. Southampton 4.
Referee M Jones (Cheshire).
Latest in Sport
World Cup 2014 draw: Daunting draw but England have nothing to lose against Uruguay, Italy and Costa Rica
World Cup 2014 draw: Greg Dyke makes 'cut throat' gesture after England are drawn in 'Group of Death'
Ashes 2013-14: Mitchell Johnson destroys sorry England to give Australia command in second Test
World Cup draw 2014: England drawn with holders Spain in official Group Stage rehearsal
Arsenal vs Everton: Let loan players take on their parent clubs, says Arsène Wenger
- 1 Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
- 2 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 3 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 4 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 5 People will try to reduce Mandela to a lilting reggae tune about ‘love’. They will fail