Paolo Di Canio apologises to Sunderland fans after 'unacceptable' defeat to Aston Villa
The Black Cats were beaten 6-1 at Villa Park
Tuesday 30 April 2013
Paolo Di Canio apologised to Sunderland fans after his team suffered an “unacceptable” 6-1 defeat at Aston Villa last night.
Di Canio was fuming at the meek surrender of a team whose mini-revival came to a shuddering halt thanks to Christian Benteke's hat-trick.
The result leaves Sunderland, like Villa and Newcastle, five points clear of third-bottom Wigan. And Di Canio was not happy.
"We have to apologise to the supporters," said Di Canio, whose side were suffering their biggest defeat since 2010.
"You can lose with a big gap but the way it happened was not acceptable.
"It is beautiful to be there with the fans when you win against Newcastle. But you also have to stand in front of them when you lose heavily."
It looked like being a promising evening for Sunderland after Danny Rose levelled within two minutes of Ron Vlaar's first-half piledriver.
But Matt Lowton's break created the chance Andreas Weimann finished off just before the interval and once Benteke had destroyed the visitors, Gabriel Agbonlahor rubbed it in a minute from time to become Villa's highest-ever Premier League goalscorer.
"There were two different teams on the field," he said.
"Aston Villa had a ferocity. They had desire and ambition, like it was the last chance of their lives.
"For us, after two wins in a row, our stomach was a bit full.
"When you eat a lot, you relax, you sleep.
"Now we have to work with blood in our eyes."
To compound a terrible night, Sunderland also had Stephane Sessegnon dismissed for a second-half challenge on Yacouba Sylla. A three-match ban would rule Sessegnon out for the remainder of the campaign, although Di Canio has confirmed the club will appeal.
"There was nothing in it," he said.
"The leg was not straight. He didn't want to cause any damage to his opponent. The referee fell in a trap. It wasn't a nasty action."
Di Canio also indicated he was not concerned at the abuse he received from the Villa fans, who have not forgotten his 'going down' gesture at them when he was Swindon boss earlier in the campaign.
"I don't mind. It is not an issue for me," he said.
"You can add another two thousand bad words to the millions that I received in my football career."
For Villa boss Paul Lambert, it was another night of praise for Benteke, who has now scored 22 goals this season.
"You can't speak highly enough of him," said Lambert.
"He keeps his feet on the ground and is hungry to have success as a footballer.
"He is a big lad and everyone can see his technique is fabulous.
"He played a lot games for Genk. He is Belgium's main target player and they are going to qualify for the World Cup.
"People forget he is 22. He has a big career in front of him as long as he keeps working hard."
food + drinkMichelin-starred Tom Sellers on being this year's hottest property
tvParents (and kids) rejoice! A new wave of fantastic family entertainment is here
booksGeese, gorillas, grandads... and growing up
food + drinkHow one grocery e-tailer is gearing up for the Yuletide rush
food + drink
travelFor broadcaster Mishal Husain, a long-haul Club Med holiday was a chance for her family to explore its sense of 'zen' and 'animation'
Latest in Sport
Why Barcelona chose Everton to educate their latest prodigy
What does Manchester United manager David Moyes stand for? Where is the big philosophy? He needs to show us
Manchester United 0 Newcastle United 1 match report: David Moyes powerless to prevent dismal defeat
Liverpool 4 West Ham 1 match report: Luis Suarez gives England more to fear
Manchester United 0 Newcastle United 1: Champions haven't got a clue
- 1 Hundreds arrested as Canadian police smash worldwide paedophile ring
- 2 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 3 Why Barcelona chose Everton to educate their latest prodigy
- 4 Mass murder in the Middle East is funded by our friends the Saudis
- 5 Japan cracks down on leaks after scandal of Fukushima nuclear power plant