Paul Scholes to miss Chelsea clash
Paul Scholes has been ruled out of Manchester United's Premier League trip to Chelsea on Sunday.
Scholes has been struggling with a groin problem that has kept him out of action since the Champions League trip to Rangers three weeks ago and manager Sir Alex Ferguson is dubious about the veteran midfielder being available for the first part of United's festive programme.
"Paul is out of Sunday," the United boss told Key 103.
"We are working towards getting him fit for the new year matches."
Ferguson expressed optimism that John O'Shea should be available for this weekend despite a minor calf problem.
United are currently well placed at the top of the Premier League.
Last Monday's victory over Arsenal at Old Trafford leaves them two points clear of the chasing pack and the Red Devils also have a match in hand.
With Anderson, who signed a contract extension yesterday, starting to hit top form, Scholes should not be too badly missed although his experience would have come in handy against a Chelsea side likely to be reinforced by the return of Frank Lampard.
Latest in Sport
- 1 Double chins could be 'cured' without surgery or dieting using new injection
- 2 The BBC has just done more to eradicate ‘terrorism’ than all our wars since 9/11
- 3 Christian blogger says she will not wear leggings in public because they entice men and cause them to look at her 'lustfully'
- 4 Thank heavens for Louise Mensch and her foul-mouthed tweets to world leaders
- 5 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
French court convicts three over homophobic tweets, in case hailed as a 'significant victory' by LGBT rights campaigners
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
British Muslim school children suffering a backlash of abuse following Paris attacks
British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
Louise Mensch says 'F**K YOU' in explosive tweets about David Cameron, Saudi Embassy and the Queen over King Abdullah tributes