New Real Madrid president Florentino Perez believes Cristiano Ronaldo would be the ideal player for the Spanish giants and will not be put off by his hefty price tag.
Madrid have long been linked with a move for the Portugal international and, despite last month's denial, there continues to be speculation that they already have a deal in place for the 24-year-old.
Perez insists he knows nothing about any such contract which would see Ronaldo move to the Bernabeu for over 80 million euros but he believes it would be money well spent.
"I don't know anything about the story of Cristiano Ronaldo. I only just took charge," he told television programme '59 segundos'. "But what I am sure of is that which seems expensive is the cheapest.
"In my last era the cheapest was (Zinedine) Zidane, who seemed very expensive because we paid 73 million (euros) for him.
"Without knowing who we can get, there will be a massive effort for the great players of the world, because that is the Real Madrid model."
Perez laughed off suggestions that Ronaldo's fierce temper could hinder him at the Bernabeu.
"I have not seen anything about him that would prohibit him from playing at Real Madrid," he added. "I have seen him get angry because he wants to win and (because of) his competitive spirit.
"The information I have on him says that he is an example on the pitch, a model."
Madrid are also being linked with Kaka, a move that appears to be further away following the AC Milan star's insistence that he wants to remain at the San Siro.
While Perez admits they will bring in big-name players, he insists Madrid will not be held to ransom for anyone.
"We started working today and we will lay the foundations to create a magnificent team," he said. "Kaka could be one of our objectives but the prices the media are talking about are really out of the reality.
"Some things can last for days, others for months. We have time until August 31.
"It's not true that we have signed Kaka and I don't want there to be false hope. It's true that I have a great relationship with (AC Milan general manager, Adriano) Galliani but there are other teams who have their own projects and everything has a price.
"Yes, I can say that I will work but not everyone can come."
Perez also revealed that around 10 players could be on their way out of Madrid to make way for new signings.
"What is certain is that you can register 25 players (for the Champions League)," he continued. "If we have 29 and we want to bring in six new players, we are talking of a total of 35.
"We have to sort it, so 10 leave. It's something very delicate and complicated, being respectful to contracts and people."Reuse content