Petr Cech expects to sign new deal at Chelsea
Thursday 05 January 2012
Petr Cech expects to sign a new extended contract with Chelsea soon - but refuses to rule out the prospect of leaving the club one day.
The 29-year-old has been a mainstay for the west Londoners since joining from French club Rennes for £7million in 2004.
Reports suggested Andre Villas-Boas could sell Cech in favour of summer signing Thibaut Courtois - currently on loan at Atletico Madrid - but the Czech international is keen to sign a new contract.
"Yes, I think [I will sign a new deal] and we will not have a problem," he told the London Evening Standard.
"There are a lot of matches at this time of year so we agreed [before Christmas] that both sides would prepare for the negotiations and meet to resolve it when there is time for that.
"The last few weeks have been hectic and we [agreed] to meet after New Year's Day.
"I have been here for seven years and I have been more or less a regular starter, so I'm more than happy to stay.
"Ever since I was a kid I wanted to be at a club who are among the best in the world.
"Chelsea are in the world's top competition, so I have no reason to leave.
"I would like to see myself staying here."
While Cech is keen to commit his immediate future to the Stamford Bridge club, he refused to rule out one day plying his trade elsewhere.
"It is difficult to leave the best league in the world and if you take a look around, you will not see many teams of Chelsea's category that would be looking to sign a new goalkeeper," Cech added.
"If I would like to try something new, then it would have to be a club of a similar level to Chelsea.
"You never know, everything happens fast in the football life. You can sign a 10-year contract with a club and then end up leaving after three years.
"I'm 29-years-old and I believe that there is still time for a possible change."
Meanwhile, reserve trio Nathaniel Chalobah, George Saville and Adam Phillip have penned new deals with the club.
England Under-19 international Chalobah was on the bench against Wolves on Monday and has now signed his first professional contract with the Blues.
The defender only turned 17 last month and has committed himself to Chelsea until 2014, while team-mate Saville has committed for a further year.
The 18-year-old has played in all 13 of the side's reserve league games this season and has signed a three-and-a-half year deal.
Former England Under-17 international Phillip is currently out with a long-term injury, but the 20-year-old has extended his by a season, with his previous deal due to run out in the summer.
Latest in Sport
Pornhub: Cheeky Liverpool fan uploads Philippe Coutinho wonder-goal video to adult website
Chelsea players allowed 20 minutes to celebrate, says Jose Mourinho after Capital One Cup victory
Liverpool vs Manchester City match report: Stunners from Philippe Coutinho and Jordan Henderson sink Manuel Pellegrini's side
Diego Costa keeps coin thrown at him during Capital One Cup final
Arsenal 2 Everton 0 player ratings: Who scored highest at the Emirates?
- 1 End of the licence fee: BBC to back radical overhaul of how it is funded
- 2 This restaurant has misunderstood the concept of 'cheese and biscuits'
- 3 Raif Badawi, the Saudi Arabian blogger sentenced to 1,000 lashes, may now face death penalty
- 4 Delhi bus rapist blames dead victim for attack because 'girls are responsible for rape'
- 5 PornHub turns masturbation into energy in bid to save the planet
New theory could prove how life began and disprove God
This is what it's like to be dead, according to a guy who died for a bit
End of the licence fee: BBC to back radical overhaul of how it is funded
'Jihadi John': CAGE representative storms off Sky News accusing Kay Burley of Islamophobia
Ukip would cut billions from Scottish budget to fund English tax cuts
Nearly 100,000 of Britain's poorest children go hungry after parents' benefits are cut