Phil Jones forced to borrow cab fare from Manchester United coach Tony Strudwick during US tour
Coach paid for two cab journeys and a coffee for the centre-back
Tuesday 05 August 2014
Despite earning around £50,000-a-week, Phil Jones was left red-faced when he didn't have the money to pay for a cab or a coffee.
The Manchester United centre-back forgot to take any cash with him as he explored Washington DC with fitness coach Tony Strudwick.
Jones, who was part of Roy Hodgson's failed England squad, left Strudwick to foot the bill for two taxi rides and a coffee.
Strudwick took to Twitter to rib the 22-year-old defender: "Had a good afternoon shopping with @PhilJones4. Paid his cab fares either way and bought him a Starbucks coffee. Shock he had no cash!
"Should have paid me for his poor banter all afternoon."
Apparently it is not the first time this has happened, with Jones even nicknamed Phil Loans by some members of the United squad. Fitness coach Tony Strudwick was left to foot the bill
Ashley Young replied: "no shock there with @PhilJones4 haha".
Jones conceded a penalty during United's 3-1 win over Liverpool in Miami.
Latest in Sport
Jay Hart sex tape: Non-league footballer sacked after being filmed having sex with unknown blonde girl in manager's dug-out
Floyd Mayweather vs Manny Pacquiao: What time does it start and where can I watch it?
Radamel Falcao to Liverpool: Agent of Manchester United striker 'makes contact' with Anfield
Cesc Fabregas in Premier League title dig at Arsenal after pointing out '27 year wait'
Manchester United 2015/16 kit leak: Orange and black strip likened to former Chelsea jersey emerges online
- 1 Rarest Beanie Baby bought for just £10 at car boot sale could be sold for £62,500 on eBay
- 2 Katie Hopkins and The Sun editor are reported to police for incitement to racial hatred following migrant boat column
- 3 Katie Hopkins has just written a piece so hateful that it might give Hitler pause – why was it published?
- 4 Australian student Tommy Connolly, 23, adopts his pregnant, homeless 17-year-old cousin to give her a chance at 'a better life'
- 5 Cancel Sky at your peril: man spends 96 minutes in chat but fails to get rid of service
If I’m being racially abused I don’t need a stranger with a saviour complex to rescue me
The only black face in the Ukip manifesto is on the page about overseas aid
Ukip is the only main political party to not address LGBT rights in its manifesto
Food banks: One million Britons will soon be using them, according to Trussell Trust
Religion isn't growing, it is becoming vigorous in its demise, says philosopher AC Grayling
BBC election debate: The one photo that summed up the whole 90-minute leaders debate