Porto issue warning to Chelsea over manager Andre Villas-Boas
Porto have signalled their intention to keep Andre Villas-Boas out of the clutches of Chelsea and the other giants of European football by declaring they want him to stay "for many years".
Villas-Boas, the hottest young prospect in management, has been heavily touted as a potential replacement for Blues boss Carlo Ancelotti, who appears resigned to losing his job at the end of the season.
But Porto president Pinto da Costa has told the 33-year-old Villas-Boas he can fulfil all his immediate ambitions with the Portuguese club.
Speaking at a dinner last night to commemorate his side's 25th league title success, Da Costa said: "Out of the thousands of times that he has been asked if he would be leaving for another club, he has always responded that he is in his dream position already."
Turning to Villas-Boas, he added: "We want to see you happy in this job for many years, and we will provide you with the conditions so that this season is the first of many with the success that we all want."
Villas-Boas, who worked at Chelsea as a scout under Jose Mourinho, has been dubbed the new 'Special One' after breaking several of his former mentor's records in a staggering first season at the Estadio do Dragao.
The club last month clinched the league title with five matches to spare and have won 26 and drawn three of their 29 games in the competition ahead of Saturday's season finale at Maritimo.
They have also enjoyed a record-breaking run to the Europa League final, in which they will play Portuguese rivals Braga a week on Wednesday.
Porto have already moved once this season to tie down Villas-Boas, extending the two-year contract he signed when joining the club by another year back in December.
Despite his remarkable rise, appointing Villas-Boas would represent something of a gamble for Chelsea, although there are reports he could be asked to work under a more experienced director of football.
It appears the Blues would like that to be Guus Hiddink if the Dutchman decides against a return to frontline club management.
The 64-year-old reportedly remains billionaire owner Roman Abramovich's number one target but he is under contract with the Turkey national team until the European Championship finals and is renowned for refusing to walk away from jobs early.
The Turkish Football Federation last month insisted they would snub any move by Abramovich for Hiddink although that might change if he loses next month's vital qualifier in Belgium and is effectively hounded out by disgruntled supporters.
There has been speculation linking Gianfranco Zola with a coaching role in any new regime, while Marco van Basten has been mentioned as an alternative to Hiddink and Villas-Boas.
There are certain to be changes in the squad at Stamford Bridge, with a playmaker the priority if Chelsea wish to get the best out of Fernando Torres.
Kaka, who has been linked with the Blues for years, would undoubtedly fit the bill and his mother has fuelled speculation about the Brazil star moving to London on her Twitter account.
Real Madrid playmaker Kaka, a devoted Catholic, brought his family with him to Europe when he moved to AC Milan eight years ago.
His mother, Simone Leite, wrote: "We are going to be in London next season where we will be preaching the word of God.
"We will be there from August - I can tell you."
Madrid yesterday confirmed the £10million signing of Borussia Dortmund midfielder Nuri Sahin, adding further weight to rumours Kaka's days in the Spanish capital are numbered.
Meanwhile, John Terry has warned Manchester United that Chelsea are already bent on regaining the Barclays Premier League title after all but surrendering it this season.
The champions' limp 2-1 defeat at Old Trafford on Sunday saw United move six points clear with just two matches remaining and captain Terry immediately vowed to do everything possible to wrest back the championship next year.
The 30-year-old revealed he had made a point of congratulating Red Devils manager Sir Alex Ferguson, even though it "hurt" to do so.
He added on Chelsea TV: "It drives you on as well.
"You get a focus for next year and we will be aiming to take it off them."
Latest in Sport
Chelsea players allowed 20 minutes to celebrate, says Jose Mourinho after Capital One Cup victory
Diego Costa keeps coin thrown at him during Capital One Cup final
Liverpool vs Manchester City match report: Stunners from Philippe Coutinho and Jordan Henderson sink Manuel Pellegrini's side
Arsenal 2 Everton 0 player ratings: Who scored highest at the Emirates?
Ireland 19 England 9 player ratings: Jonathan Sexton? Devin Toner? Alex Goode? Who was the star man in Dublin?
- 1 End of the licence fee: BBC to back radical overhaul of how it is funded
- 2 Raif Badawi, the Saudi Arabian blogger sentenced to 1,000 lashes, may now face death penalty
- 3 PornHub turns masturbation into energy in bid to save the planet
- 4 Dakota Johnson's 'It's only Isis' Saturday Night Live sketch sparks controversy
New theory could prove how life began and disprove God
This is what it's like to be dead, according to a guy who died for a bit
'Jihadi John': CAGE representative storms off Sky News accusing Kay Burley of Islamophobia
Ukip would cut billions from Scottish budget to fund English tax cuts
End of the licence fee: BBC to back radical overhaul of how it is funded
Russia's roadmap for annexing eastern Ukraine 'leaked from Vladimir Putin's office'