Liverpool v Chelsea: Premier League match preview
A look ahead to this weekend's top clash in the Premier League
Friday 25 April 2014
Five points separate the Premier League’s two top teams before they clash at Anfield on Sunday. Liverpool are unbeaten in 16 consecutive matches while in comparison Chelsea have experienced a few slips during the run-in, including the loss to Sunderland last time out.
While Liverpool can afford to draw against Chelsea this weekend and keep their fate in their own hands, Chelsea desperately need a win if they are to retain any hope. Given Liverpool’s impressive form this season the match will not be an easy task for the Blues, particularly if Jose Mourinho carries out his threat to play a weakened team.
While Liverpool might have Daniel Agger in the starting line-up, another Dane can get his debut in the Premier League as reports suggests that 18-year old Andreas Christensen could start in the centre of defence for Chelsea.
KICK-OFF: Sunday, 2.05pm
PAST THREE MEETINGS…
Chelsea 2 (Hazard, Eto’o) Liverpool 1 (Skrtel), Premier League, December 2013
Liverpool 2 (Sturridge, Suarez) Chelsea 2 (Oscar, Hazard), Premier League, April 2013
Chelsea 1 (Terry) Liverpool 1 (Suarez), Premier League, November 2012
- Jose Mourinho has won six, drawn one and only lost one of his eight previous Premier League meetings with Liverpool
- Torres has scored 45 goals at Anfield, 10 more than Luis Suarez
- However, he is yet to score in 337 Premier League minutes against his former club in the Premier League
- Liverpool are the only team yet to lose any points from a winning position at home this season
Liverpool to win: 1.61
Chelsea to win: 5.0
TV: Live on SkySports1 at 2.05pm, highlights on BBC1 at 10.25pm.
Actress sees off speculation about her appearance in an amazing way
Powerful images of strays taken moments before being put down
The Washington Post editor helped Bob Woodward and Carl Bernstein bring down President Nixon
Children's bookseller wins The Independent's new author search
Latest in Sport
Indian footballer Peter Biaksangzuala dies from spine injury after doing somersault celebration
Liverpool vs Real Madrid: Isco will provide just as great a threat at Anfield as the injured Gareth Bale would have
Angel Di Maria injury: Manchester United sweat over fitness of record signing as he is in danger of missing Chelsea clash
Video: Boxer Vido Loncar brutally assaults referee following defeat
Chelsea vs Maribor player ratings: Cesc Fabregas? Eden Hazard? Didier Drogba? Who was the star of the show at Stamford Bridge?
- 1 Salisbury ranked seventh-best city in the world to visit in Lonely Planet’s Best in Travel 2015
- 2 Disney announces new female-led film Moana
- 3 Banksy has not been arrested: Internet duped by fake report claiming artist's identity revealed
- 5 Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Residents should throw a street party and mix with immigrant neighbours, councils told
Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
London bus driver 'kicks gay couple off for kissing'
Jose Manuel Barroso warns David Cameron against making 'historic mistake' over immigration reforms
Of course, teenage girls need role models – but not like beauty vlogger Zoella