Liverpool v Chelsea: Premier League match preview
A look ahead to this weekend's top clash in the Premier League
Friday 25 April 2014
Five points separate the Premier League’s two top teams before they clash at Anfield on Sunday. Liverpool are unbeaten in 16 consecutive matches while in comparison Chelsea have experienced a few slips during the run-in, including the loss to Sunderland last time out.
While Liverpool can afford to draw against Chelsea this weekend and keep their fate in their own hands, Chelsea desperately need a win if they are to retain any hope. Given Liverpool’s impressive form this season the match will not be an easy task for the Blues, particularly if Jose Mourinho carries out his threat to play a weakened team.
While Liverpool might have Daniel Agger in the starting line-up, another Dane can get his debut in the Premier League as reports suggests that 18-year old Andreas Christensen could start in the centre of defence for Chelsea.
KICK-OFF: Sunday, 2.05pm
PAST THREE MEETINGS…
Chelsea 2 (Hazard, Eto’o) Liverpool 1 (Skrtel), Premier League, December 2013
Liverpool 2 (Sturridge, Suarez) Chelsea 2 (Oscar, Hazard), Premier League, April 2013
Chelsea 1 (Terry) Liverpool 1 (Suarez), Premier League, November 2012
- Jose Mourinho has won six, drawn one and only lost one of his eight previous Premier League meetings with Liverpool
- Torres has scored 45 goals at Anfield, 10 more than Luis Suarez
- However, he is yet to score in 337 Premier League minutes against his former club in the Premier League
- Liverpool are the only team yet to lose any points from a winning position at home this season
Liverpool to win: 1.61
Chelsea to win: 5.0
TV: Live on SkySports1 at 2.05pm, highlights on BBC1 at 10.25pm.
Latest in Sport
Chelsea victory parade: Chelsea mocked on Twitter as 'tens of fans' pack the streets of London
Liverpool's 2005 Champions League-winning side: From Jerzy Dudek to Vladimir Smicer - where are they now?
Jack Wilshere's final-day strike wins Match of the Day's Goal of the Season award after Arsenal fans hijack vote
Jurgen Klopp favourite to replace Brendan Rodgers at Liverpool if he's sacked
Young Preston fan has play-off hero Jermaine Beckford's shirt stolen from him at Wembley - which then appears for sale on Gumtree
- 1 Cyclist who knocked down three-year-old girl says his life has been 'destroyed'
- 2 A politically correct lefty goes to see Top Gear live – you'll probably believe what happened next
- 4 Isis burns woman alive for refusing to engage in 'extreme' sex act, UN says
As a white man, I'm surprised more women aren't tweeting the hashtag #KillAllWhiteMen
Scotland may have to leave the EU even if it votes to stay in, David Cameron confirms
The day that Britain resigned as a global power
SNP fury as HS2 finds 'no business case' for taking fast train service to Scotland
EU referendum: David Cameron to deny EU migrants and under-18s the chance to vote
A nation of inequality: How the UK is failing to feed its most vulnerable people