Liverpool v Chelsea: Premier League match preview
A look ahead to this weekend's top clash in the Premier League
Friday 25 April 2014
Five points separate the Premier League’s two top teams before they clash at Anfield on Sunday. Liverpool are unbeaten in 16 consecutive matches while in comparison Chelsea have experienced a few slips during the run-in, including the loss to Sunderland last time out.
While Liverpool can afford to draw against Chelsea this weekend and keep their fate in their own hands, Chelsea desperately need a win if they are to retain any hope. Given Liverpool’s impressive form this season the match will not be an easy task for the Blues, particularly if Jose Mourinho carries out his threat to play a weakened team.
While Liverpool might have Daniel Agger in the starting line-up, another Dane can get his debut in the Premier League as reports suggests that 18-year old Andreas Christensen could start in the centre of defence for Chelsea.
KICK-OFF: Sunday, 2.05pm
PAST THREE MEETINGS…
Chelsea 2 (Hazard, Eto’o) Liverpool 1 (Skrtel), Premier League, December 2013
Liverpool 2 (Sturridge, Suarez) Chelsea 2 (Oscar, Hazard), Premier League, April 2013
Chelsea 1 (Terry) Liverpool 1 (Suarez), Premier League, November 2012
- Jose Mourinho has won six, drawn one and only lost one of his eight previous Premier League meetings with Liverpool
- Torres has scored 45 goals at Anfield, 10 more than Luis Suarez
- However, he is yet to score in 337 Premier League minutes against his former club in the Premier League
- Liverpool are the only team yet to lose any points from a winning position at home this season
Liverpool to win: 1.61
Chelsea to win: 5.0
TV: Live on SkySports1 at 2.05pm, highlights on BBC1 at 10.25pm.
Latest in Sport
Gareth Bale to Manchester United: Louis van Gaal has made 'two £100m bids this summer'
Jose Mourinho-Arsene Wenger feud is not sporting, but keeps alive raw spirit of competition - Sam Wallace
Pedro to Manchester United: Transfer news live - Angel Di Maria to PSG, John Stones to Chelsea, £100m Gareth Bale bid
Premier League 2015/16 preview: Club-by-club guide to the new season
Can Arsenal win the Premier League? Is Raheem Sterling the answer to Man City's problems? Can anything stop Chelsea?
- 1 Edward Heath 'raped 12 year-old boy at Mayfair flat'
- 2 Porn block in India: hundreds of sexual websites banned, internet outraged
- 3 Gwen Stefani and Gavin Rossdale divorce: One of music industry’s most enduring couples announce split after 12 years of marriage
- 4 Giant Minion terrorises drivers in Ireland as 40ft inflatable blocks traffic on Dublin road
- 5 Will Smith 'divorce': Actor forced to respond to tabloid rumours after 'condolence' messages
Is Britain really full up? Are migrants taking our jobs? Leading academic answers the most common anti-immigration claims
Calais Migrant Crisis: Deputy Mayor of Calais labels Cameron's use of 'swarm' as 'racist' and 'ignorant'
Chris Leslie: Jeremy Corbyn's anti-austerity agenda will harm the poor, says Labour shadow Chancellor
Landlords renting properties to illegal immigrants to face up to five years in prison
While we fixate on Calais, the Home Office is quietly deporting dozens of migrants on 'ghost flights'
Labour leadership race: Jeremy Corbyn could be the next Prime Minister, says Ken Clarke