Liverpool v Chelsea: Premier League match preview
A look ahead to this weekend's top clash in the Premier League
Friday 25 April 2014
Five points separate the Premier League’s two top teams before they clash at Anfield on Sunday. Liverpool are unbeaten in 16 consecutive matches while in comparison Chelsea have experienced a few slips during the run-in, including the loss to Sunderland last time out.
While Liverpool can afford to draw against Chelsea this weekend and keep their fate in their own hands, Chelsea desperately need a win if they are to retain any hope. Given Liverpool’s impressive form this season the match will not be an easy task for the Blues, particularly if Jose Mourinho carries out his threat to play a weakened team.
While Liverpool might have Daniel Agger in the starting line-up, another Dane can get his debut in the Premier League as reports suggests that 18-year old Andreas Christensen could start in the centre of defence for Chelsea.
KICK-OFF: Sunday, 2.05pm
PAST THREE MEETINGS…
Chelsea 2 (Hazard, Eto’o) Liverpool 1 (Skrtel), Premier League, December 2013
Liverpool 2 (Sturridge, Suarez) Chelsea 2 (Oscar, Hazard), Premier League, April 2013
Chelsea 1 (Terry) Liverpool 1 (Suarez), Premier League, November 2012
- Jose Mourinho has won six, drawn one and only lost one of his eight previous Premier League meetings with Liverpool
- Torres has scored 45 goals at Anfield, 10 more than Luis Suarez
- However, he is yet to score in 337 Premier League minutes against his former club in the Premier League
- Liverpool are the only team yet to lose any points from a winning position at home this season
Liverpool to win: 1.61
Chelsea to win: 5.0
TV: Live on SkySports1 at 2.05pm, highlights on BBC1 at 10.25pm.
Latest in Sport
Frank Lampard was RIGHT not to celebrate Manchester City's equaliser against Chelsea
All Blacks Aaron Cruden misses New Zealand flight after drinking session, has brilliant excuse
WWE Raw results: Dean Ambrose and John Cena hunt down Seth Rollins but The Authority stand firmly in their way
Colombian women's cycling team kit that makes wearer appear naked is branded 'unacceptable' by UCI president
Five reasons why Louis van Gaal is a worse Manchester United manager than David Moyes
- 1 Cyclist in Russia narrowly misses being hit by car and lorry
- 2 'F*ck it, I quit': KTVA reporter Charlo Greene quits live on air in spectacular fashion
- 3 What are your fingerprint words?
- 5 Pink Floyd new album: Band unveil cover art for first record in 20 years
Scotland could still declare independence – even without referendum, says Alex Salmond
Scottish referendum results: Cross-party consensus collapses amid Tory-Labour spat on the 'English question'
Hilary Mantel 'should be investigated by police' over Margaret Thatcher assassination story, says Lord Bell
Plebgate MP Andrew Mitchell called officer a 'little s**t', claim court documents 'exposing ex-Chief Whip's 'record of abusing police'
Archbishop of Canterbury admits doubts about existence of God
Labour Party conference: Ed Balls to set out plan to freeze child benefit to balance books