Premier League: Reading v Manchester City match preview
A look ahead to tonight’s Premier League fixture at the Madejski Stadium
Tuesday 14 May 2013
Manchester City prepare to face their first match post-Roberto Mancini when they travel to Reading on tonight. As if that wasn’t enough to contend with in itself, assistant boss Brian Kidd is also faced with the task of lifting his men following their FA Cup final defeat on Saturday against a burden-free Royals side.
Mancini was dismissed on Monday following the club’s cup defeat to Wigan and, while the hunt starts for his replacement, they must now try and concentrate on the on-pitch challenges that face them.
With a second-place finished assured, City have little to fight for but will still be desperate to round off a difficult and disappointing week by giving their fans something to smile about.
Reading will go into the match desperate to build some momentum as they look to avoid finishing rock bottom of the Premier League table – an achievement that would be a small consolation after their dismal season.
However, since their relegation, the Royals have been playing without worry and this newfound carefree attitude saw them cruise past Fulham 4-2 last weekend – potentially the start of a flourishing season finale.
KICK-OFF: Tuesday, 8pm
PAST THREE MEETINGS…
Man City 1 (Barry) Reading 0, Premier League, December 2012
Man City 1 (Richards) Reading 0, FA Cup, March 2011
Reading 2 (Long, Kitson), Man City 0, Premier League, March 2008
- City’s last league win at Reading came in March 1999 in the third tier of the Football League.
- Reading are aiming to notch back-to-back Premier League wins for only the second time this season.
- City have failed to record an away win at any of the promoted teams this season, drawing 0-0 at West Ham and losing 3-1 at Southampton.
- Joe Hart has kept the most clean sheets of any Premier League goalkeeper this season with 17.
- Danny Guthrie is in line to make his 150 career league appearance.
Reading to win: 6.8
Manchester City to win: 1.55
Latest in Sport
Chelsea vs Manchester United player ratings: Match-winner Eden Hazard leads the way, but Radamel Falcao endures game to forget
Chelsea 1 Manchester United 0: Eight things we learnt as Blues step closer to the Premier League title
Floyd Mayweather vs Manny Pacquiao: Where are the tickets for the fight?
Chelsea transfer news: Jose Mourinho plays down news signings Nathan and Yoshinori Muto but talks up Ruben Loftus-Cheek
Arsenal transfer news: Mikel Arteta needs 'five minutes' to sign new contract and remain with the Gunners
- 2 Rarest Beanie Baby of them all could be sold for £62,500 on eBay
- 3 Professional big game hunter Ian Gibson crushed to death by elephant during hunt
- 4 Farmer told to tear down mock-Tudor castle after hiding construction behind hay bales
If I’m being racially abused I don’t need a stranger with a saviour complex to rescue me
The only black face in the Ukip manifesto is on the page about overseas aid
Ukip is the only main political party to not address LGBT rights in its manifesto
Food banks: One million Britons will soon be using them, according to Trussell Trust
Religion isn't growing, it is becoming vigorous in its demise, says philosopher AC Grayling
BBC election debate: The one photo that summed up the whole 90-minute leaders debate