Premier League: Reading v Manchester City match preview
A look ahead to tonight’s Premier League fixture at the Madejski Stadium
Tuesday 14 May 2013
Manchester City prepare to face their first match post-Roberto Mancini when they travel to Reading on tonight. As if that wasn’t enough to contend with in itself, assistant boss Brian Kidd is also faced with the task of lifting his men following their FA Cup final defeat on Saturday against a burden-free Royals side.
Mancini was dismissed on Monday following the club’s cup defeat to Wigan and, while the hunt starts for his replacement, they must now try and concentrate on the on-pitch challenges that face them.
With a second-place finished assured, City have little to fight for but will still be desperate to round off a difficult and disappointing week by giving their fans something to smile about.
Reading will go into the match desperate to build some momentum as they look to avoid finishing rock bottom of the Premier League table – an achievement that would be a small consolation after their dismal season.
However, since their relegation, the Royals have been playing without worry and this newfound carefree attitude saw them cruise past Fulham 4-2 last weekend – potentially the start of a flourishing season finale.
KICK-OFF: Tuesday, 8pm
PAST THREE MEETINGS…
Man City 1 (Barry) Reading 0, Premier League, December 2012
Man City 1 (Richards) Reading 0, FA Cup, March 2011
Reading 2 (Long, Kitson), Man City 0, Premier League, March 2008
- City’s last league win at Reading came in March 1999 in the third tier of the Football League.
- Reading are aiming to notch back-to-back Premier League wins for only the second time this season.
- City have failed to record an away win at any of the promoted teams this season, drawing 0-0 at West Ham and losing 3-1 at Southampton.
- Joe Hart has kept the most clean sheets of any Premier League goalkeeper this season with 17.
- Danny Guthrie is in line to make his 150 career league appearance.
Reading to win: 6.8
Manchester City to win: 1.55
Latest in Sport
Liverpool transfer news: Reds buoyed after Marco Reus rejects new Borussia Dortmund contract offer - reports
Arsenal agree new deal with BT Sport - which coincides nicely with advert showing FA Cup win over Liverpool
Liverpool transfer news: Divock Origi joins before World Cup star is immediately loaned back to Lille
Scottie dogs in Commonwealth Games opening ceremony 'disrespectful to Muslims', say Malaysian politicians
Liverpool transfer news: Daniel Agger closing in on Barcelona move as Xavi plans to stay
- 1 Disney heiress Abigail disowns her share of family profits in West Bank company
- 2 The secret report that helps Israel hide facts
- 3 'Women should not laugh in public,' says Turkey's Deputy Prime Minister in morality speech
- 5 Ross Burden dead: MasterChef and Ready Steady Cook star dies at age 45 after suffering from cancer
The secret report that helps Israel hide facts
Woman and two children killed by mob in riots over 'blasphemous' Facebook post in Pakistan
A day in the life of Vladimir Putin: The dictator in his labyrinth
Putin is 'thuggish, dishonest and reckless', says British ambassador to US
Boozy, ignorant, intolerant, but very polite – Britain as others see us
A new Russian revolution: The cracks are starting to appear in Putin’s Kremlin power bloc