Manchester City prepare to face their first match post-Roberto Mancini when they travel to Reading on tonight. As if that wasn’t enough to contend with in itself, assistant boss Brian Kidd is also faced with the task of lifting his men following their FA Cup final defeat on Saturday against a burden-free Royals side.
Mancini was dismissed on Monday following the club’s cup defeat to Wigan and, while the hunt starts for his replacement, they must now try and concentrate on the on-pitch challenges that face them.
With a second-place finished assured, City have little to fight for but will still be desperate to round off a difficult and disappointing week by giving their fans something to smile about.
Reading will go into the match desperate to build some momentum as they look to avoid finishing rock bottom of the Premier League table – an achievement that would be a small consolation after their dismal season.
However, since their relegation, the Royals have been playing without worry and this newfound carefree attitude saw them cruise past Fulham 4-2 last weekend – potentially the start of a flourishing season finale.
KICK-OFF: Tuesday, 8pm
PAST THREE MEETINGS…
Man City 1 (Barry) Reading 0, Premier League, December 2012
Man City 1 (Richards) Reading 0, FA Cup, March 2011
Reading 2 (Long, Kitson), Man City 0, Premier League, March 2008
- City’s last league win at Reading came in March 1999 in the third tier of the Football League.
- Reading are aiming to notch back-to-back Premier League wins for only the second time this season.
- City have failed to record an away win at any of the promoted teams this season, drawing 0-0 at West Ham and losing 3-1 at Southampton.
- Joe Hart has kept the most clean sheets of any Premier League goalkeeper this season with 17.
- Danny Guthrie is in line to make his 150 career league appearance.
Reading to win: 6.8
Manchester City to win: 1.55