Premier League: Reading v Manchester City match preview
A look ahead to tonight’s Premier League fixture at the Madejski Stadium
Tuesday 14 May 2013
Manchester City prepare to face their first match post-Roberto Mancini when they travel to Reading on tonight. As if that wasn’t enough to contend with in itself, assistant boss Brian Kidd is also faced with the task of lifting his men following their FA Cup final defeat on Saturday against a burden-free Royals side.
Mancini was dismissed on Monday following the club’s cup defeat to Wigan and, while the hunt starts for his replacement, they must now try and concentrate on the on-pitch challenges that face them.
With a second-place finished assured, City have little to fight for but will still be desperate to round off a difficult and disappointing week by giving their fans something to smile about.
Reading will go into the match desperate to build some momentum as they look to avoid finishing rock bottom of the Premier League table – an achievement that would be a small consolation after their dismal season.
However, since their relegation, the Royals have been playing without worry and this newfound carefree attitude saw them cruise past Fulham 4-2 last weekend – potentially the start of a flourishing season finale.
KICK-OFF: Tuesday, 8pm
PAST THREE MEETINGS…
Man City 1 (Barry) Reading 0, Premier League, December 2012
Man City 1 (Richards) Reading 0, FA Cup, March 2011
Reading 2 (Long, Kitson), Man City 0, Premier League, March 2008
- City’s last league win at Reading came in March 1999 in the third tier of the Football League.
- Reading are aiming to notch back-to-back Premier League wins for only the second time this season.
- City have failed to record an away win at any of the promoted teams this season, drawing 0-0 at West Ham and losing 3-1 at Southampton.
- Joe Hart has kept the most clean sheets of any Premier League goalkeeper this season with 17.
- Danny Guthrie is in line to make his 150 career league appearance.
Reading to win: 6.8
Manchester City to win: 1.55
Latest in Sport
The muddy truth of the Christmas Truce game
Premier League: Chelsea vs West Ham match preview
Sir Alex Ferguson on Jose Mourinho: 'He's good looking, speaks five languages, wins everything - it's unfair'
The best sport selfies of 2014
Jose Mourinho on Sir Alex Ferguson: 'A good friend, a good person, a fantastic sense of humour. I like him very, very much'
- 1 Planes go hybrid-electric in important step to greener flight
- 2 Christmas comes early to Hong Kong, as millions of bank notes spill out onto busy street
Nigel Farage defends Kerry Smith 'ch***y' comment: 'If you are going for a Chinese, what do you say you’re going for?'
British actor Idris Elba cannot star as James Bond because he is black, says shock jock Rush Limbaugh
Rozanne Duncan: Ukip expels councillor for 'jaw-dropping' comments made in BBC TV interview
Germany anti-Islam protests: 17,000 march on Dresden against 'Islamification of the West'
Ukip member gets into Christmas spirit with Union Flag plea to Santa 'for our country back'
Panic Saturday: 13 million Britons spend £1.2bn – while 13 million others across the country live in poverty unable to afford food