Premier League roundup: Chelsea and Man City drop more points

Click to follow
The Independent Football

Barclays Premier League leaders Chelsea dropped points once again as they were held to a 3-3 draw by a battling display from Everton at Stamford Bridge.

The visitors took a surprise lead on 12 minutes when Louis Saha headed a free-kick on to the inside of the post before the ball bounced back into the net off Petr Cech's shoulder.

However, the Blues were soon back on level terms when Drogba (18) netted his 17th goal of the season after being set up by Frank Lampard at the edge of the area.

Chelsea were then in front through Nicolas Anelka (23), but Everton hauled themselves level on the stroke of half-time through substitute Ayegbeni Yakubu following a goal-mouth scramble.

Drogba restored the home side's lead just before the hour when he netted at the back post, only to then cause mayhem in his own penalty area when trying to help defend a free-kick.

The Ivory Coast striker headed the ball against Saha - and it looped up over Cech to give Everton a third equaliser on 63 minutes, which proved enough for a hard-earned point.

Match Centre: Click here for live football scores and stats

Relegation-battlers Wolves also caused a shock when they pulled off a 1-0 win at high-flying Tottenham.

Kevin Doyle touched in a free-kick from Nenad Milijas to give the visitors an early lead after just two minutes.

Spurs - who had scored nine in their previous home game against Wigan - then enjoyed the majority of possession, but goalkeeper Marcus Hahnemann was not called on to make a serious save as Wolves held on for a famous victory.

Manchester City had striker Craig Bellamy sent off in another six-goal thriller at struggling Bolton.

The Trotters took the lead on 11 minutes when Lee Chung-Yong's shot was deflected and prodded in by Ivan Klasnic - who looked to be offside.

City, though, levelled when Carlos Tevez (28) smashed in his seventh goal of the season from 20 yards, via a deflection.

Bolton were ahead again just before the break through a curling effort by Gary Cahill.

However, there was still time for Micah Richards to level things up at 2-2 on the stroke of half-time.

There was, though, no arguing with Klasnic's second after 52 minutes, as the on-loan Croatia striker turned the ball in from 12 yards.

City - with hopes of breaking into the top four - were reduced to 10 men when referee Mark Clattenberg controversially showed Bellamy a second yellow card for an alleged dive.

A 25-yard screamer from Tevez - his eighth of the season - drew City level on 77 minutes, which proved enough for another point.

Bottom club Portsmouth snatched a dramatic last-minute equaliser at Sunderland - with goalscorer Younes Kaboul sent off for his celebrations after bundling home from a corner.

Darren Bent's strike after 23 minutes had looked enough for victory, the striker scoring from close range following good work from Jordan Henderson and Andy Reid.

West Ham - coming to terms with the enforced early retirement of England striker Dean Ashton this week - slipped back into the bottom three after they lost 1-0 at Birmingham.

Lee Bowyer (52) netted his third goal in four games, the former Hammers midfielder slotting past Robert Green after being released by Christian Benitez.

Substitute Kieron Dyer hit the post, but there was no way back for West Ham, who finished the game with 10 men following Mark Noble's red card.

Bobby Zamora continued his good form with a seventh goal of the season as Fulham drew 1-1 at Burnley.

A quick free-kick caught out the Clarets defence, and Zamora (50) held off Steven Caldwell before finishing from a tight angle.

However, Burnley levelled through a fine volley from Wade Elliott.

There were, though, no goals between Hull and Blackburn at the KC Stadium, where Benni McCarthy's first-half volley was ruled out for offside.

In the day's early kick-off, Thomas Sorensen saved a last-minute penalty to secure Stoke a 2-2 draw against Wigan in an entertaining match at Britannia Stadium.

Emmerson Boyce (15) headed the visitors into an early lead, before Tuncay Sanli (37) levelled.

Honduran left-back Maynor Figueroa (72) put Wigan back in front when he swept home a stunning free-kick from inside his own half over the backpedalling keeper - but Ryan Shawcross equalised two minutes later.

There was then late drama after Robert Huth brought down Jordi Gomez, who was offside in the penalty area - but Rodallega fired his spot-kick straight at Sorensen.

Manchester United, who started the day two points behind Chelsea, will host Aston Villa at 5:30pm.

Match Centre: Click here for live football scores and stats