Premier League: West Ham v Southampton match preview
A look ahead to this weekend's Premier League fixture at Upton Park
Friday 19 October 2012
Two promoted sides face up for the first time in the league this season and despite Southampton running away with the Championship title last term, it is West Ham who look the stronger side having picked up three league wins to Southampton’s one.
Both sides have lost attacking players to injury as Southampton’s record signing Gaston Ramirez (dead leg) and West Ham’s Ricardo Vaz Te (shoulder) face two months on the sidelines.
Andy Carroll will see the game as the ideal opportunity to get off the mark and show parent club Liverpool what they’re missing as the Merseysiders struggle with injuries up-front.
KICK-OFF: Saturday, 3pm
PAST THREE MEETINGS…
West Ham 1 (Noble) Southampton (Hooiveld) Championship, February 2012
Southampton 1 (Hooiveld) West Ham 0, Championship, October 2011
Southampton 1 (Beattie) West Ham 1 (Defoe), Premier League, April 2003
West Ham haven’t beaten Southampton in the last 11 years.
The Saints have been leaking goals for fun, conceding a total of 20 this season.
West Ham to win: 1.85
Southampton to win: 4.20
TV: Highlights on BBC1 at 10.30pm
Latest in Sport
Petr Cech demands talks over Chelsea future as Thibaut Courtois begs him to stay – as mentor
Angel Di Maria: Manchester United to push ahead with £50m move for Real Madrid winger
Marcos Rojo to Manchester United: Sporting Lisbon confirm deal with Nani heading back to Portugal on loan
Arsenal player ratings vs Besiktas
Besiktas vs Arsenal player ratings: Alexis Sanchez, Jack Wilshere, Calum Chambers - who was the Gunners star man?
- 1 Michael Brown shooting: Amnesty International sends team within US for first time as National Guard deployed
- 2 James Foley 'beheaded': Isis video shows militant with British accent 'execute US journalist' – and warns Obama of more to come
- 3 Reading Festival 2014: Tesco branch replaces salad and potatoes for Jagermesiter and vodka
- 4 Here’s the damning letter Robin Williams wrote to his Mrs Doubtfire co-star's principal after they expelled her
- 5 Ferguson protests: 90-year-old Holocaust survivor Hedy Epstein ‘arrested’ by police during St Louis demonstrations
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Scottish independence: English people overwhelmingly want Scotland to stay in the UK
Crisis? What crisis? A visiting US doctor gives the NHS a rave review
Ukip MEP calls for reintroduction of death penalty on fiftieth anniversary of last deaths
Russell Brand calls for Israel boycott: Comedian urges big businesses that 'facilitate the oppression of people in Gaza' to pull funding
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head