QPR hand trial to Chelsea 'smoke-grenade' midfielder Jacob Mellis
Wednesday 04 April 2012
QPR have handed a trial to Jacob Mellis, who recently parted company with Chelsea after setting off a smoke grenade at their training ground.
The midfielder, 21, played and scored in Rangers' 2-1 reserve defeat against West Ham yesterday.
Mellis, who spent last week training with npower Championship side Burnley, left Chelsea "by mutual consent" last month after admitting to the smoke-grenade prank.
Yesterday's friendly also witnessed the return of QPR strikers Heidar Helguson and DJ Campbell from injuries that have sidelined them for more than two months.
Latest in Sport
Hull v Arsenal: Arsene Wenger admits 'I am not in the best position' as contract uncertainty continues
Dylan Tombides: West Ham confirm 20-year-old striker has died after battle with cancer
Secret to Liverpool’s title charge is Brendan Rodgers’ ability to keep changing formation – and Raheem Sterling’s gift of adapting to his manager’s wishes
Steven Gerrard profile: the Lion of Liverpool who embodies fight for Hillsborough justice and is poised to lead his club to a remarkable triumph
Spurs ‘agree deal’ with former Milan manager Massimiliano Allegri
- 1 KFC 'sorry' after lesbian couple are kicked out of Bath restaurant for 'heavy petting'
- 2 Dylan Tombides: West Ham confirm 20-year-old striker has died after battle with cancer
- 3 24 people applied for the 'world's toughest job', here are their interviews
- 4 'Sinful': Video of British Muslims dancing to Pharrell Williams's hit Happy comes under attack
- 5 Saudi Arabia declares all atheists are terrorists in new law to crack down on political dissidents
The food poverty scandal that shames Britain: Nearly 1m people rely on handouts to eat – and benefit reforms may be to blame
US Navy christens huge $3 billion destroyer ship USS Zumwalt that appears as a fishing boat on enemy radar
Scottish independence: It is the English who should be on their knees, begging the Scots to vote ‘No’
Nigel Farage fatigue? Half of voters ‘immune’ to Ukip’s appeal
Nigel Farage: I’m taking on the status quo, and the Establishment’s fighting back
Refugee facing deportation from Sweden saved by fellow passengers refusing to let plane leave