QPR hand trial to Chelsea 'smoke-grenade' midfielder Jacob Mellis
Wednesday 04 April 2012
QPR have handed a trial to Jacob Mellis, who recently parted company with Chelsea after setting off a smoke grenade at their training ground.
The midfielder, 21, played and scored in Rangers' 2-1 reserve defeat against West Ham yesterday.
Mellis, who spent last week training with npower Championship side Burnley, left Chelsea "by mutual consent" last month after admitting to the smoke-grenade prank.
Yesterday's friendly also witnessed the return of QPR strikers Heidar Helguson and DJ Campbell from injuries that have sidelined them for more than two months.
elephant appealThe first 23 lots in our charity auction have now gone. But there are 22 more still up for grabs
newsFormer soldier taped 33 of the animals to the floor and then stamped on them one by one
Michelle Nijhuis' daughter insists (s)he is, and she learnt a valuable lesson on gender in books
Geoffrey Macnab reviews American Hustle, also starring Christian Bale and Bradley Cooper
news Opponents claim it would stop performers such as Beyonce and Madonna appearing on TV
It takes a platoon of chefs, litres of brandy and rum, and almost 100kg of dried fruit
newsThat most ancient of crimes is on the rise, threatening farmers' livelihoods, community trust – and human health
Latest in Sport
Mesut Ozil reveals he really is the Superman at Arsenal, Jack Wilshere is Batman and don't make Lukas Podolski angry - it's the Arsenal Christmas Party
Transfer news: Liverpool - January transfer targets
Missing out on Tottenham job was a 'close shave', says Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers
The most underrated players in the Premier League
Transfer news: Chelsea - January transfer targets
- 1 America's 'virgin births'? One in 200 mothers 'became pregnant without having sex'
- 2 North Koreans are gasping for the truth: Let's give it to them
- 3 Sun will 'flip upside down' within weeks, says Nasa
- 4 Christmas comes early: Justin Bieber is 'retiring from music'
- 5 Iain Duncan Smith leaves Commons food banks debate early