QPR received 'massive offer' for Chris Samba, reveals Harry Redknapp
Russian club offered QPR more than the west London club paid Anzhi Makhachkala
Monday 04 March 2013
Harry Redknapp is relieved QPR chairman Tony Fernandes turned down a “massive offer” for Christopher Samba from an unnamed Russian club last week.
The 28-year-old arrived from Anzhi Makhachkala for a club-record fee on transfer deadline day, penning a four-and-a-half year deal at Loftus Road.
However, Redknapp has revealed QPR were offered more than what they forked out for Samba by another Russian club last week ahead of the end of their own transfer window.
"We had an offer for Samba, right on the deadline and the chairman turned it down," Redknapp said after Saturday's 2-1 win at Southampton.
"We had an offer of more money than what we paid for Samba. The chairman had a massive offer for him to go back to Russia.
"The chairman asked me 'what do you think?' and I said 'it is up to you, it is your club, it is your decision'.
"I would have had no problem. I left it to the chairman. He came back and said he had turned it down and said 'get on with it'.
"The player probably spoke to the chairman but it was really important we kept him.
"It was really good for us. Had we had lost him, I would say that is football. He is a proper player.
"When he was sold, I could never understand why Arsenal did not sign him that time.
"He is everything you need. He is quick, he can play round his feet.
"He is a proper centre-half. He could play anywhere in this country and for all the top teams."
Samba was a behemoth at the back at Southampton as QPR eked out just their third Barclays Premier League win of the season.
"This gives us a chance, that's all," Redknapp said. "It is a chance and it keeps us in there.
"You could not have afforded to be cut adrift anymore. It was three big points which keeps us going.
"We needed a result at 1-1, we were playing with one up and I decided to push two up to really go for it with Loic Remy through the middle with Jay Bothroyd. We were 4-4-2, got the goal and I reverted back to 4-5-1.
"You start to look at the run of games, which ones you will win, which ones you will lose and whoever knows in football.
"You look at it and think we will beat them and then you go and lose.
"Then you think we will get beaten there and go and win, like we did at Chelsea."
Redknapp believes Southampton are not one of those in danger of going down but defender Jose Fonte disagrees.
"We know which position we are in," he said. "We are in a battle with the other teams and know we need points.
"We know we have the quality but we need the points. What's the point in dominating games and not winning, not taking points?
"We need to go to the training ground and make sure we address that."
Latest in Sport
Manchester United transfer news: United given new hope in race for Juan Cuadrado as Barcelona talks stall
Manchester United transfer news: United close in on Arsenal’s Thomas Vermaelen
Manchester City transfer news: Frank Lampard heads to Etihad as pre-New York City FC stopgap
Liverpool transfer news: Brendan Rodgers plans more Anfield signings this summer
Transfers: How has your club fared in summer sales?
- 1 Mystery of the Siberian holes at the end of the world 'solved': Scientists offer explanation
- 2 Pope Francis issues top 10 tips for happiness
- 3 Disney heiress Abigail disowns her share of family profits in West Bank company
- 4 Israel's propaganda machine is finally starting to misfire
Land for gas: Merkel and Putin discussed secret deal could end Ukraine crisis
Woman and two children killed by mob in riots over 'blasphemous' Facebook post in Pakistan
Richard Dawkins tweets: 'Date rape is bad, stranger rape is worse'
Putin is 'thuggish, dishonest and reckless', says British ambassador to US
Boozy, ignorant, intolerant, but very polite – Britain as others see us
A new Russian revolution: The cracks are starting to appear in Putin’s Kremlin power bloc