Rafael Benitez insists Frank Lampard is not being discarded by Chelsea
Midfielder says he has years at the top level in him
Friday 14 December 2012
Rafael Benitez today insisted Frank Lampard was not being discarded by Chelsea because he was past his best.
Interim manager Benitez claimed the Stamford Bridge decision-makers who have halted contract talks with the England midfielder had no doubt about "his condition, his levels, his quality".
Benitez suggested owner Roman Abramovich and the board were analysing "different things", but did not go into more detail.
It is only possible to speculate what they might be but one could be the fact that Lampard is one of the highest earners at the club during an era of Financial Fair Play.
His age, 34, and recent injury record might also come into it but Benitez told BBC Sport: "For sure, he's a fantastic player, a great professional - there's no doubt about this.
"Also, when I talk to the people in charge, they are telling me the same, so nobody has any doubt about his condition, his levels, his quality.
"So the decision could be analysing different things, not just the quality of the player."
Lampard insisted he had "two or three years at least" left to give as an elite footballer - even if Chelsea appeared to think otherwise.
He admitted yesterday his glittering career with the European champions could be drawing to a close after revealing he was not in talks with them over a new contract to replace the one that expires next summer.
Lampard appeared resigned to his fate after helping Chelsea into the Club World Cup final in Yokohama, coming off the bench against Monterrey for his second appearance since recovering from a troublesome calf problem.
That compounded an injury-hit 2012 but Lampard made it clear he had more to give.
"I feel like I have two or three years, at least, in me at the top level," he said.
"It is not for me to decide on this one. It's up to the club.
"Whatever happens, I have had a great time at Chelsea. I am determined to play a few more years and see what pans out in the near future."
Lampard, whose 11 years' service at Chelsea and third place in the club's all-time list of scorers has seen him become an heroic figure there, added: "There have been no talks about anything about an extension.
"Maybe things don't last forever. Although I want it to last forever, you have to be big enough to know what it is."
Lampard has been linked with moves to Los Angeles Galaxy, Chinese club Guizhou Rehne and a host of other clubs - even Chelsea's Barclays Premier League rivals Arsenal.
Already short in midfield, Chelsea are unlikely to let him leave in January but he could sign a pre-contract agreement elsewhere.
Lampard added: "I'm not the kind of player to see out my time and sit with my bum on the bench too much. I want to be involved.
"I will keep trying to do that, whatever the circumstances."
Lampard's seven and a half weeks out injured co-incided with Chelsea's worst winless Barclays Premier League run for 15 years, the sacking of manager Roberto Di Matteo and the appointment of Rafael Benitez as interim boss.
It also spanned the entirety of the Mark Clattenburg affair, over which team-mate John Obi Mikel yesterday broke his silence.
Mikel is currently serving a three-match ban for threatening Clattenburg after Chelsea's acrimonious Premier League defeat in October.
The Nigeria international did so after being told by team-mate Ramires that the referee had called him "a monkey" during the game, something of which the official was last month cleared by the Football Association.
The police also declined to take action against Clattenburg and Mikel said yesterday: "I think now it is done I am glad it is over.
"I am sure he is glad it is over as well and the FA is glad it is all put to bed and we can move on from here."
Board creates magnetic field to achieve lift
Trend which requires crisps, a fork and a strong stomach is sweeping Mexico's streets
George Lucas criticises the major Hollywood film studios
Does Chris Grayling realise what a vague concept he is dealing with?
Parties threaten resort's image as a family destination
Latest in Sport
Luis Suarez: Lionel Messi is better than Cristiano Ronaldo
Indian footballer Peter Biaksangzuala dies from spine injury after doing somersault celebration
Arsenal vs Hull: Gary Lineker and Piers Morgan lead criticism of Arsene Wenger after 'uncomfortable' interview with Jacqui Oatley
Adel Taraabt criticism from QPR boss Harry Redknapp sparked by player walking out of team meeting prior to Liverpool game
West Brom vs Manchester United player ratings: Saido Berahino scores highest, whilst Marcos Rojo scores lowest
- 1 Jack the Ripper: Scientist who claims to have identified notorious killer has 'made serious DNA error'
- 2 Banksy arrest hoax: Internet duped by fake report claiming street artist's identity has been revealed
- 3 Drink alcohol and eat meat to improve male fertility - but cut down on coffee, studies suggest
- 4 Former East 17 frontman Brian Harvey turns up at Downing Street and 'demands to speak to Prime Minister'
- 5 The inventor of the Facebook 'like' button says he never made a 'dislike' button because he feared the 'unfortunate consequences'
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Residents should throw a street party and mix with immigrant neighbours, councils told
Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
Amal Alamuddin calls for the return of the Elgin Marbles from Britain: 'Injustice has persisted for too long'
London bus driver 'kicks gay couple off for kissing'
Lord Freud: Tory welfare minister apologises after saying disabled people are 'not worth’ the minimum wage