Redknapp 'delighted' as Lennon extends deal
Saturday 21 March 2009
Tottenham Hotspur have moved to warn off interest from Liverpool in Aaron Lennon by agreeing a deal with the winger to keep him at White Hart Lane until 2014.
Lennon, whose recent form has seen him tipped for an England recall, was already on a long-term contract but was not thought to be one of the top earners in Harry Redknapp's squad. The 21-year-old was suggested as a possible makeweight in the transfer that took Robbie Keane back to Spurs in January and has been linked with Liverpool since, but he has now agreed a two-year extension.
"He has signed for the next five years and that is good news for the club," Redknapp said. "He wants to stay and we want to keep him – he is a young player with a great future. He's been fantastic since I've been here and we're delighted to secure him long term. He has all the ability, he's still learning the game and has to keep listening and take things on board. If he keeps doing that he can become a fantastic player."
Lennon was billed as David Beckham's natural successor when he was taken to the World Cup finals in 2006, but he has struggled to recapture his form until Redknapp's arrival at Spurs earlier this season. Redknapp has worked with Lennon, particularly on making runs behind his full-back, with impressive results recently.
A cautionary tale for ambitious would-be authors
X Factor judge will appear in court later this month
Latest in Sport
- 1 Gurdwaras-turned-food banks: Sikh temples are catering for rise in Britain’s hungry
- 2 Council bans use of word ‘Commie’ – but ‘fascist’ and ‘Nazi’ are fine
- 3 The poorest pay the price for austerity: Workers face biggest fall in living standards since Victorian era
- 4 Newly vegan Beyoncé wears fox fur to dine in meat free restaurant
- 5 'I'm experiencing austerity as well', says Princess Michael of Kent