Robbie Keane training with Tottenham
Loan spell ruled out for former striker
Tuesday 15 January 2013
The Los Angeles Galaxy striker Robbie Keane will train with Tottenham for the next two weeks, the London club have announced.
Keane enjoyed two spells totalling eight years at White Hart Lane before moving to the United States two years ago.
The Republic of Ireland striker will train at Spurs' Enfield base in a bid to maintain his fitness ahead of the return of the start of the MLS season in March.
Keane spent the last American off-season on loan at West Ham, but even though Spurs are down to only one striker as Emmanuel Adebayor is at the African Nations Cup, it is understood that manager Andre Villas-Boas has no plans to sign the 32-year-old on a temporary basis.
Keane himself ruled out a loan move back to England two weeks ago, admitting he needed a rest following a tiring 2012 with the Galaxy and the Republic of Ireland.
"It's been a long season, with the Euros and what have you. I've a few little niggles that need to be sorted out so I don't think at this moment in time it would be right for me to go anywhere," he told Sky Sports.
Latest in Sport
- 1 BBC told new political editor must be 'impartial' with Nick Robinson reportedly stepping down
- 2 Number of young homeless people in Britain is 'more than three times the official figures'
- 3 Humans of New York image of crying gay teen receives best response yet from Ellen DeGeneres
- 4 The map showing the most dangerous tourist destinations in Europe, according to the Foreign Office
- 5 Swedish minister gives strongest case yet on why EU should stop turning away asylum seekers
More Britons believe that multiculturalism makes the country worse - not better, says poll
Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
Greece crisis: IMF was pushed around by Angela Merkel and Nicholas Sarkozy – and now it is being humiliated
Forget little green men – aliens will look like humans, says Cambridge University evolution expert
Girl, 7, stares down hate preacher at Ohio festival with pro-LGBT rainbow flag gesture
Osborne to cap family benefits at £23,000 – announced ahead of his post-election Budget