Roberto Mancini opens door for Carlos Tevez return
Tuesday 01 November 2011
Roberto Mancini has suggested Carlos Tevez could yet return to the Manchester City team if he apologises for his part in the ongoing controversy.
Tevez has been frozen out of the first-team picture since Mancini claimed the Argentinian refused to play in the Champions League game at Bayern Munich on September 27.
After an exhaustive investigation by City, Tevez was found guilty of that offence by the club last week and fined two weeks' wages.
Yet the striker has argued throughout the last five weeks that he only refused to warm up at Allianz Arena and is thought highly likely to appeal against the judgement.
Press Association Sport also understands the 27-year-old is considering suing Mancini for defamation of character over his comments.
Mancini has spoken little about the subject since the night in question, with most of his press conferences preceded by warnings that questions on the matter are not permitted.
But in an interview with Corriere della Sera, he said: "Everything depends on Carlos.
"If he apologises to the squad and to me then everything will be as before.
"If he doesn't, then Tevez has a value that everyone knows and something will happen in January."
Representatives for Tevez chose not to comment on Mancini's remarks.
Tevez, who was found guilty of five breaches of contract, is yet to formally announce whether he does intend to appeal but still has a week remaining to do so.
Tevez did apologise to fans the day after the game for what he termed as a "misunderstanding".
Yet City are understood to be determined to fight the matter through and maintain that Tevez's conduct on the bench amounted to a refusal to play.
The club have also given Mancini their full backing and will allow their manager to determine what becomes of Tevez over the remainder of his contract, which expires in 2014.
City are also determined that the player will not be allowed to leave on the cheap.
Mancini also took a swipe at Tevez's representatives over the affair in his Corriere della Sera interview.
He said: "He is totally unprepared and being badly advised.
"I don't want it to be like this and I would be the first to forgive him."
Latest in Sport
MK Dons 4 Manchester United 0: Emmanuel Frimpong and Edin Dzeko lead the jokes as the internet reacts to humiliating defeat
Paul Scholes: Manchester City were so good against Liverpool I felt like turning the television off
Manchester United transfer news: Daley Blind will only move for 'top price'
Arsenal vs Besiktas match report: Alexis Sanchez scores only goal as Gunners survive night of nerves to qualify for Champions League
Arsenal vs Besiktas player ratings: Alexis Sanchez? Jack Wilshere? Mesut Ozil? Who was the star man at the Emirates Stadium?
- 1 Miley Cyrus' homeless MTV VMAs date, Jesse Helt, is wanted by the police
- 2 Arizona shooting: Gun instructor accidentally killed by nine-year-old girl with Uzi
- 3 Paul Scholes: Manchester City were so good against Liverpool I felt like turning the television off
- 4 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 5 Pamela Anderson rejects ice bucket challenge because of ALS experiments on animals: 'Mice had holes drilled into their skulls'
Exclusive: We share blame for creating 'jihad generation', says Muslim strategist
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
Arizona shooting: Gun instructor accidentally killed by nine-year-old girl with Uzi