Roberto Mancini plays down community service for Manchester City striker Carlos Tevez
The striker has punished for driving while banned and without insurance
Friday 05 April 2013
Manchester City boss Roberto Mancini does not expect Carlos Tevez's community service order to hamper the club in any way.
The Argentinian striker was this week ordered to undertake 250 hours of unpaid community work after being found guilty of driving while disqualified.
The punishment comes at a time when Tevez has been in fine form on the field having scored six goals in his last seven appearances.
With City facing Manchester United in an eagerly-anticipated derby at Old Trafford on Monday, Mancini is hopeful that run continues.
When asked if the community service was likely to cause a problem for City, Mancini said: "I don't think so, no. I didn't speak with him about this.
"I think that Carlos made a mistake and he will pay for this. But usually he has good behaviour."
Another City player, Samir Nasri, has also been banned from driving this week.
Mancini does not think these incidents badly affect the image of the club.
He said: "I don't think this. This is their private life. We can do nothing about this. This can happen sometimes."
One piece of good news for City this week has seen midfielder Yaya Toure sign a new four-year contract.
The influential Ivory Coast international has committed himself to the Etihad Stadium until 2017, ending speculation he could leave in the summer.
Mancini said: "I am happy because Yaya, for me, is one of the best players in the world and we are happy he plays for us and he stays here for another four years.
"I think it is very important for the club."
Toure turns 30 in May but Mancini does not see that as an issue.The Italian, speaking at a press conference to preview Monday's game, said: "I think that Yaya is a player that can play until 36, 37 because he can play in front of the defence, like a central defender, I think he can play every position."
Playmaker David Silva signed a new five-year contract earlier in the season and Mancini expects more deals to be agreed with existing players in the coming months.
Two that could become a priority are Tevez and Gareth Barry, who will both enter the final years of their contracts in the summer.
Mancini said: "We have time to talk about this.
"Yaya was important - also for the other players it would be the same, in the next month, next two months. I am confident."
Latest in Sport
Sami Khedira to Arsenal: Midfield omitted from Real Madrid squad for Spanish Super Cup
Paul Scholes: Manchester United need five experienced players who can turn round a desperate situation
Angel Di Maria latest: Manchester United target is Real Madrid's 'best player', says Diego Simeone
Manchester United transfer news: Louis van Gaal tried and failed to sign German stars Thomas Muller and Marco Reus this summer
Tracey Emin: My Life In A Column
- 2 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27
- 4 Kajieme Powell: Missouri police release video footage of second man killed by officers
Scottish independence: English people overwhelmingly want Scotland to stay in the UK
Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Crisis? What crisis? A visiting US doctor gives the NHS a rave review
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head
Scottish Independence Referendum: Salmond described as 'arrogant, ambitious and dishonest' by Scottish women