Robin van Persie dismisses 'absurd' Nazi salute claims
Monday 31 October 2011
Arsenal striker Robin van Persie has labelled interpretations of his goal celebration against Chelsea as a Nazi salute as "insulting and absolutely absurd".
After the Dutchman's second goal, which put Arsenal 4-3 up at Stamford Bridge, Van Persie touched his shoulder with his right hand before raising it to the air.
The 28-year-old was horrified to learn of internet speculation his celebration was a Nazi salute.
"It has been brought to my attention of some ridiculous allegations concerning my celebration of one of my goals yesterday," he said on Twitter.
"It is totally ludicrous to suggest that my action of brushing my shoulder and pointing to my fans could be construed as anything else but of a showing of joy and celebration.
"To suggest this meant anything to the contrary is insulting and absolutely absurd as nothing else came into my mind."
tvSteven Moffat reveals the actor was dying to take on the role of the Time Lord and says he is excited to see what he will do with the character
Latest in Sport
World Cup 2014: Football Manager developers predict the team of the tournament - but which England player makes it into the XI?
Roy Keane omits Paul Scholes, Gary Neville and Ryan Giggs from 'greatest' Manchester United team
Gareth Bale puts five-bedroom Essex mansion up for sale at £2.2m following £86m switch from Tottenham to Real Madrid
Former England captain Mick Mills 'turned a blind eye' to initiation ceremony abuse at Stoke City, which included sexual assault dubbed 'The Glove'
Manchester United player ratings: The best (and worst) performers for David Moyes during the season so far
- 1 Nelson Mandela memorial sign language interpreter was a 'fake'
- 2 It’s shameful that our universities have accepted gender segregation under pressure from the most oppressive religious fanatics
- 3 Sir Ian McKellen hits back at Damian Lewis' 'fruity actor' claims
- 4 Kenyan politician Mike Sonko left red-faced after photoshopping himself next to Nelson Mandela
- 5 Selfie at funeral: Cameron squeezes in on Obama snap at Mandela memorial