Robinho admits interest in Barcelona move
Tuesday 08 September 2009
Manchester City's Brazil star Robinho has again fuelled speculation linking him with a move to Barcelona after admitting he would find it difficult to turn down a move to the Spanish giants.
The £32.5m British transfer record forward has been linked with a possible move to the Camp Nou in the next transfer window after an indifferent first 12 months at Eastlands.
Robinho played for Barca's bitter rivals Real Madrid before heading to England but has admitted that a move to the Catalan side would be an appealing prospect.
"It's not easy to say no to a team like Barcelona," he told Marca. "They are the European champions. It is a beautiful city and I like Spain a lot.
"I have always wanted to play at clubs like Barcelona. It's a great club, any player would be happy for them to show an interest.
"I am happy that a club like them have noticed me. Who would not want to play for a club alongside Xavi, (Andres) Iniesta, (Lionel) Messi, (Zlatan) Ibrahimovic and all the rest?
'I like Barcelona, they're a great club."
Real Madrid’s director general Jorge Valdano has dismissed speculation suggesting that his club will make another move to sign Bayern Munich’s Franck Ribery in the January transfer window.
France forward Ribery had been linked with a switch away from Bayern for much of the summer, with Real leading the chase along with Barcelona and Chelsea.
However, the 26-year-old has stayed put for the time being and Valdano thinks a New Year move is highly unlikely.
He told Marca: “Ribery is a thing of the past and perhaps something for the future, but the present consists of the 24 players who make up the Real Madrid squad.
“I don't think the winter market is for players of the stature of Ribery, but I do not know.”
Almeria summer signing Fabian Vargas has been ruled out for around three months after suffering a serious leg injury while on international duty.
The 29-year-old suffered a fractured fibula and ruptured ligaments in his left ankle during Colombia’s 2-0 win over Ecuador, having only joined Almeria from Boca Juniors a couple of months ago.
Colombia national team medic, Dr Diego Velazquez, told Marca: “This injury will leave the player out of action for approximately three months.
“There is a fracture to the fibula as well as ruptured ligaments.
“He will most likely remain in Bogota for six weeks as there is a screw where the fibula joins the tibia that will have to be removed after six weeks.”
Latest in Sport
The Prince of Wales Stakes today is regarded by many as the No1 race of the Royal Ascot meeting and ...
by Gareth Purnell
19 June 2013 02:01 AM
Today’s St James Palace looks a cracker and there has been sustained money for Dawn Approach since t...
by Gareth Purnell
18 June 2013 02:01 AM
Newcastle don’t need a football director – they need a new medical team after finishing bottom of the injury league
Newcastle United have shocked their fans by appointing Joe Kinnear as director of football but new f...
by Alex Miller
17 June 2013 04:39 PM
ACT Brumbies v British and Irish Lions - player ratings
Premier League fixture list unveiled: David Moyes and Jose Mourinho on an early collision course
Liverpool expected to complete deal for £6m Spanish winger Luis Alberto in next 48 hours
In pictures: Royal Ascot 2013 - Opening day
Exclusive: Cristiano Ronaldo advised to stay at Real Madrid for further 18 months before making possible switch to Manchester United
- 1 Disability campaigners celebrate 'victory' after government rethink over plans to make it more difficult to claim disability benefits
- 2 Bankers could face jail after report urges the Government to introduce new criminal offence for reckless management
- 3 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 4 We never knew Nigella Lawson - and we still don’t
- 5 Vice pulls 'breathtakingly tasteless' fashion shoot glorifying the suicides of famous female authors from Sylvia Plath to Virginia Woolf