Robinho staying at Manchester City insists Hughes
Mark Hughes insists Robinho's future still lies with Manchester City.
The Brazilian striker is currently out of action with an ankle injury picked up on international duty in September.
Yet just because he has not been playing, he has still been a major topic of discussion.
Champions League winners Barcelona would appear to be the most likely destination for a player who has never given the impression of being entirely settled since his British record £32.5million move from Real Madrid in August last year.
However, Hughes has ruled such a transfer out, insisting the 25-year-old remains a big part of his plans.
"I am quite clear and Robinho should be quite clear that his future is very much with City," said Hughes.
"There is no reason to think that will change any time soon.
"All those stories do not originate from anyone from City.
"It is people on the outside taking a view on the situation with Robinho which they have no real insight into."
In fact, Hughes is convinced part of the problem is Robinho's non activity.
If the South American had been playing, discussion of his performances would have helped fill a void. Instead, the space has been filled by discussion over his future.
"At the moment Robinho is not fit," said Hughes.
"But people still want to talk about him because he is a high-profile player.
"They have not had the opportunity to talk about him play on the pitch. From their point of view the next best thing is to speculate about his future and there are a number of people out there who are making mischief."
Robinho has come to Abu Dhabi with a much-weakened City squad to get some warm weather training under their belts.
The rising temperatures are more akin to what he is used to back home rather than the chill of Manchester he left behind yesterday.
However, Hughes is confident it will not be long before Robinho is ready to challenge for a Premier League place once more.
"We are hoping that he is going to train with the group while we are over here," he said.
"He trained with the first team, just for part of the session, before we came out here.
"Now it is a case of stepping up his training.
"Hopefully we will get some game time into him, even if that means arranging something behind closed doors.
"Hopefully he will be an option very soon."
Latest in Sport
Paul Scholes: Manchester United vs Liverpool - I don't understand why Brendan Rodgers was not more attacking against Basel
Jesus Christ plays for Chelsea - that's what one in five children thinks
Transfer Talk: Nemanja Vidic to return to Manchester United; Hazard to leave Chelsea; Sunderland want Radamel Falcao
Frank Warren column: Don't bet on Amir Khan landing pay day against Floyd Mayweather
Manchester United transfer news: Kevin Strootman move edges closer
- 2 Harry Potter fans can apply to the Hogwarts-inspired College of Wizardry
- 3 Jessica Chambers: 19-year-old woman 'doused with lighter fluid and burned alive' in the US
- 4 Russell Brand calls Nigel Farage 'poundshop Enoch Powell' in BBC Question Time debate
- 5 Orange Wednesdays are no more
Disgruntled RBS worker writes hilarious open letter to Russell Brand after anti-capitalist publicity stunt leaves him hungry
Nigel Farage defends Kerry Smith 'ch***y' comment: 'If you are going for a Chinese, what do you say you’re going for?'
Nigel Farage's approval rating hits 'record low' as popularity suffers in wake of Ukip sex scandal
Pakistan school attack live: Taliban kill at least 132 children in 'horrifying' massacre
Sony hack: Angelina Jolie branded 'seriously out of her mind' in further embarrassing leaked email saga
Panic Saturday: 13 million Britons spend £1.2bn – while 13 million others across the country live in poverty unable to afford food