Robinho unlikely to return until late November
Friday 23 October 2009
Manchester City have been forced to put Robinho through a new regime of treatment on his ankle after being told that he is still another two weeks away from recovery having broken a bone in it.
After two months out of action, the Brazilian will now probably be unavailable before the league match against Burnley on 7 November, and with an international break after that manager Mark Hughes indicated yesterday that he might not deploy the player until the next match against Liverpool on November 21. "The lay off is frustrating the player," Hughes said. "He's frustrated obviously because it's just gone on a little bit too much. We were actually getting him into pressure chambers to bring on the healing process because it's just been a little bit of a setback."
Robinho is able to train with the ball but City feel his susceptibility to a further break makes full training impossible. "If he did get a direct hit he could suffer a fresh fracture and we can't afford for that to happen," Hughes added.
Martin Petrov has seized his opportunity on the left in Robinho's absence and Hughes, whose side entertain Fulham on Sunday, indicated that exploratory talks over a new contract to replace the one which expires this summer are now under way. "We've sat down and talked about a new deal. I'm sure we're going to do something there."
Hughes acknowledged that Petrov, who came close to a transfer deadline day move to Tottenham was "a bit frustrated that he's not playing as many games as he would like. But when he's come into the team he's made an impact, so we're pleased with that. He's in the last year of his contract, that's been flagged up by a number of people, and I'm sure we'll try and do something."
Latest in Sport
Gareth Bale to Manchester United: Louis van Gaal has made 'two £100m bids this summer'
Jose Mourinho-Arsene Wenger feud is not sporting, but keeps alive raw spirit of competition - Sam Wallace
Pedro to Manchester United: Transfer news live - Angel Di Maria to PSG, John Stones to Chelsea, £100m Gareth Bale bid
Premier League 2015/16 preview: Club-by-club guide to the new season
Manchester United transfer news: Victor Valdes moved to U21 dressing room as exit looms
- 1 Edward Heath 'raped 12 year-old boy at Mayfair flat'
- 2 Sabrina Corgatelli: US hunting tourist posts picture of herself with dead giraffe after Cecil the lion outrage
- 3 Porn block in India: hundreds of sexual websites banned, internet outraged
- 4 Gwen Stefani and Gavin Rossdale divorce: One of music industry’s most enduring couples announce split after 12 years of marriage
- 5 A-level results 2015: UK exam board OCR admits it 'estimates' hundreds of pupils' grades after papers 'go missing'
Is Britain really full up? Are migrants taking our jobs? Leading academic answers the most common anti-immigration claims
Calais Migrant Crisis: Deputy Mayor of Calais labels Cameron's use of 'swarm' as 'racist' and 'ignorant'
Chris Leslie: Jeremy Corbyn's anti-austerity agenda will harm the poor, says Labour shadow Chancellor
Landlords renting properties to illegal immigrants to face up to five years in prison
While we fixate on Calais, the Home Office is quietly deporting dozens of migrants on 'ghost flights'
Labour leadership race: Jeremy Corbyn could be the next Prime Minister, says Ken Clarke