* 1990 Keane gets his big break when Nottingham Forest manager Brian Clough signs him from League of Ireland club Cobh Ramblers for £10,000.
* 1991 Impresses Jack Charlton enough to land international debut for the Republic of Ireland in 1-1 home draw with Chile.
* 1993 Joins Manchester United for a then British transfer record fee of £3.75m.
* 1994 Marks first season by helping United complete their first League and FA Cup double.
* 1994 Helps the Republic reach the second round of the World Cup in the United States, figuring in all four matches.
* 1996 An inspirational presence as United clinch historic second double with 1-0 FA Cup final win over Liverpool.
* 1997 Eric Cantona's retirement opens up a vacancy for the United captaincy, andAlex Ferguson has no hesitancy naming Keane as the new man.
* 1999 Misses United's dramatic European Cup final win over Bayern Munich through suspension
* 2000 Named PFA and Football Writers' Association player of the year before lifting Premiership title for the sixth time in eight years.
The Prawn Sandwich Affair: Keane hits out at sections of United's support following what he felt was a poor atmosphere in a Champions' League match.
* 2001 Keane sent off for the 10th time in his career.
* 2002 Keane sent home from Ireland's World Cup squad in Japan after row over preparations with manager Mick McCarthy.
Having suffered a serious knee injury in a clash with Alf-Inge Haaland, Keane gets his revenge with crude stamp on the Norwegian's knee.
* 2003 Lifts the Premiership trophy at Goodison as United hold off Arsenal for the title.
* 2004 Makes first appearance for Ireland since McCarthy bust-up in friendly with Romania.
* 2005 Scores his 50th goal for United in 2-0 Premiership win over Birmingham. Reveals he expects to leave United in summer 2006, ending a 12-year Old Trafford career. 18 Nov Quits with immediate effect.Reuse content