Southampton sign Norway centre-back Vegard Forren
Southampton have announced the signing of Norway centre-back Vegard Forren from Molde for an undisclosed fee.
Forren, 24, has signed a three-and-a-half year deal with the Saints.
Capped five times by Norway, Forren was named player of the year in Tippeligaen in November.
Forren, who was at Stamford Bridge on Wednesday to watch Southampton's 2-2 draw with Chelsea, could make his debut against Everton.
Liverpool showed an interest in the defender, inviting him over to England for a trial, but Forren was excited by what the future could hold for Southampton.
"It's a dream come true for me. Southampton is a big club in the Premier League, which is where I have always wanted to come and play football," Forren said.
"When I was told of the interest from Southampton, straight away I wanted to come and talk to the chairman. We had a chat and I was very impressed - there was no doubt that this is where I wanted to be.
"The plan the chairman has for this club is fantastic. There is a good, young squad here and the way they play fits me well, so I hope I can join the team and get some good results."
Latest in Sport
The Prince of Wales Stakes today is regarded by many as the No1 race of the Royal Ascot meeting and ...
by Gareth Purnell
19 June 2013 02:01 AM
Today’s St James Palace looks a cracker and there has been sustained money for Dawn Approach since t...
by Gareth Purnell
18 June 2013 02:01 AM
Newcastle don’t need a football director – they need a new medical team after finishing bottom of the injury league
Newcastle United have shocked their fans by appointing Joe Kinnear as director of football but new f...
by Alex Miller
17 June 2013 04:39 PM
- 1 Freedom fighters? Cannibals? The truth about Syria’s rebels
- 2 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 3 Special Report: US troops are stationed in Japan to protect the nation. But to sex workers in Okinawa, they bring fear, not security
- 4 Vice pulls 'breathtakingly tasteless' fashion shoot glorifying the suicides of famous female authors from Sylvia Plath to Virginia Woolf
- 5 Iran to send 4,000 troops to aid President Assad forces in Syria