Steve Kean willing to meet with disgruntled Blackburn fans
Monday 28 November 2011
Blackburn manager Steve Kean says he is ready to meet some of the club's disgruntled fans if required to do so.
The Ewood Park outfit are bottom of the Barclays Premier League and a section of Rovers supporters have for some time been staging protests against Kean, calling for him to be sacked.
The Scot, who it was announced last week had signed a new contract, said after Saturday's 3-1 defeat at Stoke that he was putting the criticism to the back of his mind.
He also stressed, however, that he shared fans' frustrations about recent results - Blackburn have won just once in the league all season - and today Kean insisted he would be happy to speak with them directly.
"I will always take direction from other people at the club more qualified than me to organise something like that," the 44-year-old said ahead of tomorrow's Carling Cup quarter-final at Cardiff.
"But if it is going to happen, then I would be available to do that."
Asked if he thought such a move was needed, Kean said: "I don't know.
"Possibly they might want access and want to know a little bit more about what is going on at Ewood.
"I think there has been a lot of suggestion that they would like to know a little bit more about the organisation and the running of the club.
"That is not my department, but I'm happy to talk on the football side."
One meeting Kean definitely has scheduled is with the club's owners Venky's, with whom he will be discussing potential January transfer window signings that might boost Blackburn's ailing league campaign.
"We've got a list and I will get a meeting with the owners in the next three or four days," Kean said.
"Hopefully we will be bringing in fresh faces and some quality in the window to compliment what we have already got."
Before then, Kean must prepare his team for tomorrow's trip to Wales as Blackburn look to secure a place in the cup semi-final.
Following the news yesterday of the death of Wales manager Gary Speed, it is set to be an emotional occasion and Kean - like the rest of the football world - has been left stunned.
"It is shocking news," Kean said.
"I only spoke to him on Thursday and I'm still stunned. We have got a young Welsh player Adam Henley and I spoke with Gary about coming up to have a look at him, and he was going to do that next week.
"I had a chat with him on the phone and he was quite bright and bubbly. When I heard the news it was just shocking.
"I spoke to Chris Coleman (who Kean has worked as assistant to at various clubs and was a team-mate of Speed's for Wales), who he was very close with, last night and he was stunned. He was out in Greece and he didn't know."
Latest in Sport
Manchester United can learn lessons from the transfer template of rivals Manchester City
Pavement The Forum, London
Manchester City, Manchester United and Chelsea top the list of the Premier League's most expensive squads
Bayern Munich 'training camp' to supply refugees with food, footballs and German lessons
David De Gea, Peter Odemwingie and the 18 weirdest transfer deadline day stories
- 3 Make your voice heard: Sign The Independent's petition to welcome refugees
- 4 Refugee crisis: Aylan's life was full of fear - in death, he is part of 'humanity washed ashore'
- 5 German police forced to ask public to stop bringing donations for refugees arriving by train
Climate change: 2015 will be the hottest year on record 'by a mile', experts say
Senior British politicians tell David Cameron: When dead children are being washed up on beaches – it's time to act
Jeremy Corbyn calls Osama bin Laden's killing a 'tragedy' - but was it taken out of context?
If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don't change Europe's attitude to refugees, what will?
If you're not already angry about the refugee crisis, here's a history lesson to remind you why you really should be
Theresa May says migrants should be banned from entering the UK unless they have jobs lined up