Stéphane Sessègnon ban upheld by FA
Wednesday 01 May 2013
The Sunderland striker Stéphane Sessègnon will miss the rest of the season after his appeal against a three-match ban for his sending off against Aston Villa on Monday was turned down by a Football Association panel.
Referee Lee Probert showed a straight red for Sessègnon's challenge on Yacouba Sylla as Sunder-land lost 6-1. He will miss their three remaining games against Stoke, Southamp-ton and Tottenham as Paolo Di Canio's team battle to survive.
The Benin forward's absence will come as a major blow. He opened the scoring in Sunderland's 3-0 derby win at Newcastle and then scored the winner against Everton to put them clear of the relegation zone.
Mountain goats miraculously survive avalanche in the Alps
Skyfall's Ben Whishaw confirmed for Freddie Mercury film
Latest in Sport
Roy Keane omits Paul Scholes, Gary Neville and Ryan Giggs from 'greatest' Manchester United team
Roy Keane and Patrick Vieira relive rivalry - after the former Manchester United and Arsenal captains shared ice cream in Warsaw
Sir Alex Ferguson autobiography is 'insulting nonsense' says Roy Keane as relationship between Manchester United legends becomes 'non-existent'
Patrick Vieira put Thierry Henry and Dennis Bergkamp up front in 'greatest' Arsenal team - but there's no room for Cesc Fabregas and Marc Overmars
Manchester United player ratings: The best (and worst) performers for David Moyes during the season so far
- 1 Kenyan politician Mike Sonko left red-faced after photoshopping himself next to Nelson Mandela
- 2 Gurdwaras-turned-food banks: Sikh temples are catering for rise in Britain’s hungry
- 3 Teenage girl convicted of robbery after taking pre-crime selfie wielding knife
- 4 Government delays EU immigration report because it is too positive
- 5 'I'm experiencing austerity as well', says Princess Michael of Kent