Stuart Downing joins West Ham's injury list
Sunday 01 September 2013
Stewart Downing may not play for three weeks, after the West Ham winger suffered a leg injury in Saturday’s 1-0 home defeat by Stoke City.
Downing was making only his fourth appearance for the club since his £6m summer transfer from Liverpool but ended up in hospital after the match.
His absence leaves the West Ham manager Sam Allardyce in a quandary, as he is already missing Joe Cole, while Ricardo Vaz Te has expressed his desire to leave.
Allardyce said after the game that the chances of buying more players were “slim” unless he also sells. “We roll with what we’ve got unless something happens going out,” Allardyce said.
Latest in Sport
- 1 Scientists create transparent mouse complete with see-through organs
- 2 Pope Francis issues top 10 tips for happiness
- 3 Disney heiress Abigail disowns her share of family profits in West Bank company
- 4 Israel's propaganda machine is finally starting to misfire
- 5 Amazonian Indian tribe filmed making contact with Brazil village in rare video footage
Land for gas: Merkel and Putin discussed secret deal could end Ukraine crisis
Woman and two children killed by mob in riots over 'blasphemous' Facebook post in Pakistan
Richard Dawkins tweets: 'Date rape is bad, stranger rape is worse'
Putin is 'thuggish, dishonest and reckless', says British ambassador to US
Boozy, ignorant, intolerant, but very polite – Britain as others see us
A new Russian revolution: The cracks are starting to appear in Putin’s Kremlin power bloc