Sunderland await late fitness tests on Phil Bardsley, Danny Rose and Steven Fletcher ahead of Southampton encounter
Premier League team news
Friday 21 December 2012
Sunderland boss Martin O'Neill will await the results of late fitness tests on a trio of key players before naming his team for tomorrow's Barclays Premier League trip to Southampton.
Full-backs Phil Bardsley (knee), Danny Rose (ankle) and striker Steven Fletcher (back) have returned to light training, but are yet to prove they are ready to play at the St Mary's Stadium.
Skipper Lee Cattermole remains on the long-term casualty list with a knee ligament injury, and David Meyler is set to be recalled from his loan spell at npower Championship Hull after tonight's game at Derby to add to the cover.
Provisional squad: Mignolet, Westwood, Bardsley, Kilgallon, O'Shea, Cuellar, Bramble, Rose, Gardner, Colback, McClean, Larsson, Johnson, Vaughan, Sessegnon, Saha, Campbell, Wickham, McFadden, Fletcher.
Latest in Sport
How Manchester United manager David Moyes must wish for some of Manuel Pellegrini’s problems
World Cup 2014 draw: Greg Dyke makes 'cut throat' gesture after England are drawn in 'Group of Death'
World Cup 2014: Your guide to Group A - Brazil; Croatia; Mexico; Cameroon
World Cup draw 2014: England drawn with holders Spain in official Group Stage rehearsal
Arsenal vs Everton: Let loan players take on their parent clubs, says Arsène Wenger
- 1 Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
- 2 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 3 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 4 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 5 People will try to reduce Mandela to a lilting reggae tune about ‘love’. They will fail