Sunderland winger James McClean in contention for return against Newcastle
Friday 19 October 2012
Sunderland winger James McClean will be in contention for a derby return against Newcastle on Sunday after shaking off a groin injury.
The 23-year-old was ruled out of the Republic of Ireland's 6-1 defeat by Germany with a groin problem, but manager Martin O'Neill has revealed he could have been available for Tuesday's trip to the Faroe Islands if required.
Full-back Phil Bardsley could also make the squad after returning to action for the Under-21s side following an ankle injury which has sidelined him since pre-season, but defender Titus Bramble is a doubt with a hip flexor problem and skipper Lee Cattermole completes his three-match ban.
Provisional squad: Mignolet, Westwood, Bardsley, O'Shea, Kilgallon, Cuellar, Rose, Egan, Gardner, Colback, McClean, Larsson, Sessegnon, Meyler, Saha, Fletcher, Campbell, Wickham, Ji.
Latest in Sport
- 1 If you weren't afraid of flying before last week... you probably are now
- 2 Israel-Gaza conflict: The secret report that helps Israelis to hide facts
- 3 Students offered grants if they tweet pro-Israeli propaganda
- 4 Lauren Goodger calls for tougher laws on revenge porn after sex tape leaks online
- 5 Iraq crisis: End 'very near' for Christianity after Isis takeover, says Bishop
Israel-Gaza conflict: The secret report that helps Israelis to hide facts
A day in the life of Vladimir Putin: The dictator in his labyrinth
Opponents of Israel's military operation in Gaza are the real enemies of Middle Eastern peace
Were 'Poor Doors' added to mixed developments so wealthy residents don't have to go in alongside social housing tenants?
Arizona execution lasts two hours as killer Joseph Wood left 'snorting and gasping' for air
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Massive rise in sale of British arms to Russia