Swiss hopes over Arsenal defender Djourou dashed
Wednesday 16 March 2011
Johan Djourou will miss the rest of the season with a shoulder injury, despite a statement to the contrary from the Swiss Football Association.
The Arsenal centre-back dislocated his shoulder in Saturday's FA Cup defeat to Manchester United and Arsène Wenger immediately diagnosed him as absent for the rest of the season. A Swiss FA statement, however, said that Djourou "had new hope that his season is not over yet", as his ligament damage was shown "not to be in a serious condition".
The 24-year-old will, however, undergo surgery later this week and will miss the final 10 matches of Arsenal's Premier League campaign. With Thomas Vermaelen also injured, this leaves only Sébastien Squillaci and Laurent Koscielny as fit senior centre-backs.
Latest in Sport
- 1 The West has it totally wrong on Lee Kuan Yew
- 2 Watch: Man takes selfie every mile of 2,600 mile hike, creates amazing timelapse video
- 3 The day I starred in Only Fools and Horses
- 4 #FreeTheNipple: Women in Iceland bare breasts in solidarity with trolled student
- 5 Scientists have discovered a simple way to cook rice that dramatically cuts the calories
Ukip supporters are 55 or older, white and socially conservative, finds British Social Attitudes Report
JK Rowling responds to fan tweeting she 'can't see' Dumbledore being gay
Jeremy Clarkson sacked live: Alan Yentob 'wouldn't rule out' ex Top Gear host's BBC return
Revealed: Putin's army of pro-Kremlin bloggers
Germanwings plane crash: Co-pilot Andreas Lubitz wanted to 'do something people would remember him for'
The West has it totally wrong on Lee Kuan Yew