Swiss hopes over Arsenal defender Djourou dashed
Wednesday 16 March 2011
Johan Djourou will miss the rest of the season with a shoulder injury, despite a statement to the contrary from the Swiss Football Association.
The Arsenal centre-back dislocated his shoulder in Saturday's FA Cup defeat to Manchester United and Arsène Wenger immediately diagnosed him as absent for the rest of the season. A Swiss FA statement, however, said that Djourou "had new hope that his season is not over yet", as his ligament damage was shown "not to be in a serious condition".
The 24-year-old will, however, undergo surgery later this week and will miss the final 10 matches of Arsenal's Premier League campaign. With Thomas Vermaelen also injured, this leaves only Sébastien Squillaci and Laurent Koscielny as fit senior centre-backs.
A cautionary tale for ambitious would-be authors
X Factor judge will appear in court later this month
Latest in Sport
Roy Keane omits Paul Scholes, Gary Neville and Ryan Giggs from 'greatest' Manchester United team
Ian Herbert: England need to learn from Aussies and master art of avoiding ‘the creep’ so they can keep winning when they are winning
Roy Keane and Patrick Vieira relive their rivalry - after a shared ice cream in Warsaw
Ashes 2013-14 match report: Alastair Cook future in jeopardy after another woeful display sees England lose to Australia by 218 runs to go down 2-0
Manchester United player ratings: The best (and worst) performers for David Moyes during the season so far
- 1 Dear Sir Jimmy Savile: A comedian's words of valediction to the nation's trusted uncle
- 2 Gurdwaras-turned-food banks: Sikh temples are catering for rise in Britain’s hungry
- 3 Teenage girl convicted of robbery after taking pre-crime selfie wielding knife
- 4 Newly vegan Beyoncé wears fox fur to dine in meat free restaurant
- 5 'I'm experiencing austerity as well', says Princess Michael of Kent