Tottenham bid to sign Lewis Holtby this month likely to be thwarted
Schalke holding out for a decent fee
Thursday 24 January 2013
Schalke's director of sport Horst Heldt insists his club will not allow Lewis Holtby to leave for a pittance this winter as Tottenham continue to push for an immediate transfer of the Germany under-21 captain.
Holtby has already agreed a move to Spurs in the summer, when he becomes a free agent, but the Premier League club are keen on completing a transfer this winter, particularly after the loss of Sandro for the rest of the season with a knee injury.
However, two offers have been rejected by the Gelsenkirchen club.
"We are in intensive talks, but Lewis is a young Germany international with the quality that goes with it and you don't just give somebody like that away for a bargain price," said Heldt to Germany's dpa agency.
So far, Spurs' offer has not met Schalke's expectations, which is why Holtby should still be wearing Royal Blue this weekend.
And the state of limbo also means that Schalke are not yet pushing ahead with their plans to sign Michel Bastos from Lyon.
"The truth is, we are interested in him and Lyon have been informed about this, and we are in touch with the player's agent, but there is nothing more than interest at the moment," said Heldt.
"We have neither made the club an offer, nor opened up negotiations with them, and the player certainly hasn't had a medical.
"Bastos is a player who could play in many positions."
Latest in Sport
Nick Kyrgios calls former Olympian Dawn Fraser a 'blatant racist' after she tells Wimbledon star to 'go back where their parents came from'
Angel Di Maria to Bayern Munich: The reasons why Thomas Muller and Arjen Robben will not be joining Manchester United
Cristiano Ronaldo storms out of interview after being asked about possible sale of Manchester United target Sergio Ramos
Manchester United transfer news: No 9 shirt left vacant - a hint that new striker will be arriving?
Wimbledon 2015: Nick Kyrgios set for heavy fine for giving up game during loss to Richard Gasquet
- 1 Autistic teenager beaten up by bullies makes them watch 20-minute video about autism
- 2 Nick Kyrgios calls former Olympian Dawn Fraser a 'blatant racist' after she tells Wimbledon star to 'go back where their parents came from'
- 3 World learns of app that shows you who unfriended you on Facebook, app promptly crashes
- 4 Chris Moyles reportedly set to make radio comeback with new breakfast show on XFM
- 5 The Greece debt crisis explained in less than 100 words
More Britons believe that multiculturalism makes the country worse - not better, says poll
Osborne to cap family benefits at £23,000 – announced ahead of his post-election Budget
Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
Forget little green men – aliens will look like humans, says Cambridge University evolution expert
Girl, 7, stares down hate preacher at Ohio festival with pro-LGBT rainbow flag gesture
Sickness and disability benefits could be reduced by £30 a week as part of £12bn welfare cuts