Tottenham to finalise £8m move for Jenas

Click to follow
The Independent Football

A deal for the Newcastle United midfielder may be announced this morning as the two clubs have reached agreement over the terms for the 22-year-old's move.

That is likely to lead to a scramble to sign the Spurs midfielder Sean Davis, who has attracted interest from other Premiership clubs including Charlton Athletic. Another who could be on his way is Pedro Mendes.

At the same time, Spurs are set to allow a number of their younger players to go out on loan. Tottenham now have one of the largest squads in the Premiership and have fielded inquiries about Tom Huddlestone, Aaron Lennon and Calum Davenport in particular, while Reto Ziegler is also in demand. Ipswich Town are hopeful of bolstering their squad with a Spurs loan signing. Announcements will be made today.

Despite the likely purchase of Jenas, there will be disappointment at White Hart Lane that they appear set to miss out on gaining a fourth striker following the sale of Fredi Kanouté to Seville.

There are high hopes for the Moroccan Mounir el Hamdaoui, who arrived from the Netherlands in the January transfer window, but he is injured at present. He is also inexperienced. Matters are also complicated by Mido's suspension following his sending-off in the game against Chelsea last Saturday.

Spurs had hoped to secure the Dutch international Dirk Kuyt, but he has decided to stay at Feyenoord, while yesterday they were also accepting defeat in their attempts to sign Cristiano Lucarelli from Livorno.

They were also rebuffed earlier in the summer in their attempts to buy Crystal Palace's Andrew Johnson while a bid for Norwich City's Dean Ashton - who was targeted while he was still at Crewe Alexandra - has been discussed. Chelsea have also said they do not intend to sell Carlton Cole, who has been coveted by the Spurs manager, Martin Jol, for some time.

There were reports yesterday in the French press that Spurs were weighing up a bid for Lyon's Sidney Govou. However, despite being told at the end of last season that he could leave, the 26-year-old will stay with the French champions.

His agent, Frédéric Guerra, had attracted interest from Premiership clubs, but they were put off by the £10m asking price. Everton were favourites at one stage but dropped out after failing to qualifying for the group stages of the Champions' League.

Comments