Tottenham v Sunderland: Premier League match preview
A look ahead to this weekend's Premier League fixture at White Hart Lane
Sunday 19 May 2013
Tottenham welcome Sunderland to White Hart Lane on Sunday knowing nothing but a win will be good enough if they’re to topple arch-rivals Arsenal in the battle for a place in the Champions League qualifying stages.
With just 90 minutes left of the current campaign, Spurs are still in with a chance of finishing fourth but must hope Arsenal fail to pick up three points at Newcastle while themselves recording victory over the Black Cats. Even though they sit just one point behind the Gunners, a draw would not be an option for Villas-Boas’ men as their goal difference is inferior by 15.
Spurs will crank up the pressure on Arsenal by netting some early goals against 17-placed Sunderland, who are guaranteed of a place in next season’s Premier League following Wigan’s relegation on Tuesday evening.
On paper, it doesn’t bode well for Paolo Di Canio’s men though, who will be without the services of suspended duo Stephane Sessegnon and Craig Gardner as they look to bounce back from last week’s crushing 6-1 loss to Aston Villa.
Sunderland have pocketed just three points from a possible 18 on the road in recent months and are up against a Tottenham side who haven’t lost in seven domestic meetings.
KICK-OFF: Sunday, 4pm
PAST THREE MEETINGS…
Sunderland 1 (O’Shea), Tottenham 2 (Cuellar OG, Lennon), Premier League, December 2012
Sunderland 0, Tottenham 0, Premier League, April 2012
Tottenham 1 (Pavlyuchenko), Sunderland 0, Premier League, December 2011
- Sunderland have only won one of their last eight league games against Tottenham and lost nine of their last 11 at White Hart Lane.
- If Gareth Bale scores, he will equal the most goals ever scored by a Tottenham player in a Premier League season (21 by Teddy Sheringham).
- On 69 points, Tottenham are currently just one point behind their best ever points tally in a Premier League season. A draw will equal it, a win will topple it.
- Emmanuel Adebayor has netted five times in his last six Premier League appearances during the month of May.
- Sunderland striker Danny Graham has now gone 1034 minutes in all competitions without finding the back of the net.
Tottenham to win: 1.3
Sunderland to win: 12.00
TV: Live on Sky Sports 2 at 4pm, highlights on BBC1 at 10:25pm.
Latest in Sport
William Carvalho to Arsenal? Gunners make new enquiry for £35m rated midfielder
Manchester United transfer news: More signings expected, indicates Ed Woodward
WWE Battleground 2014 results: John Cena and The Miz are the big winners on a night to forget in Tampa, Florida
Liverpool transfer news: Loic Remy, Dejan Lovren and Divock Origi on verge of Anfield moves
Manchester City transfer news: Completed summer deals
- 1 Husband creates spreadsheet detailing wife's 'excuses' for turning down sex
- 2 Saneie Masilela, 9, marries Helen Shabangu, 53 years his senior, for the second time
- 3 UK pirates will get four warning letters a year
- 4 Why I'm on the brink of burning my Israeli passport
- 5 Is Gideon Levy the most hated man in Israel or just the most heroic?
Malaysia Airlines flight MH17 crash: 'Nine Britons, 23 Americans and 80 children' feared dead after Boeing passenger jet is 'shot down' near Ukraine-Russia border
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Vladimir Putin is given 'one last chance' to end hostilities in Ukraine
The truth about conspiracy theories is that some require considering
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Ukrainian military jet was flying close to passenger plane before it was shot down, says Russian officer
The 'scroungers’ fight back: The welfare claimants battling to alter stereotypes
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: victims’ bodies bundled in black bags and loaded onto trains