Transfer news: Manchester United might not make any January signings with club refusing to consider stopgap acquisitions
David Moyes has said there is an 'urgency' for new recruits
Manchester United are prepared for the fact that they may not make any signings during January despite their struggles so far this season, with the club refusing to compromise by making stopgap acquisitions.
David Moyes’ transfer strategy centres on acquiring players from a list of what United regard as their top targets, who they believe will become available in the summer. There is a reluctant acceptance within the club that it will be near impossible to acquire players such as Marco Reus, of Borussia Dortmund, in the current transfer window.
After a hectic summer following the retirement of Sir Alex Ferguson and the chief executive, David Gill, there is a confidence that Moyes has completed an intensive reorganisation of the scouting network in line with his needs. The club say they know their targets and have the resources to sign them. There is faith at United in Moyes in spite of the two recent home defeats, to Tottenham Hotspur in the Premier League last Wednesday and Swansea City in the FA Cup third round on Sunday.
The club have decided that there will be no new contract for the Brazilian full-back Fabio da Silva, but captain Nemanja Vidic, another one of the four first-team players out of contract in the summer, will be offered a new deal. Decisions on Patrice Evra and Rio Ferdinand will be left until much later in the summer.
Latest in Sport
Commonwealth Games 2014: It ain’t London 2012, but Glasgow aims to go ‘with a roar’
Loic Remy to Liverpool: Striker undergoes medical in Boston ahead of £8.5m move
Manchester United transfer news: Arturo Vidal subject of £39m bid - reports
Liverpool transfer news: Javier Manquillo expected to join on two-year loan deal
Louis van Gaal gets tough with Manchester United players, with Darren Fletcher and Luke Shaw berated in public and Phil Jones left looking bemused
- 1 Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Pro-Russian rebel 'admits to shooting down plane'
- 2 Israel has discovered that it's no longer so easy to get away with murder in the age of social media
- 3 Israel-Gaza conflict: The myth of Hamas’s human shields
- 4 Amy Winehouse unpublished 2004 interview: ‘Ten years from now I’ll be 30, so I’ll maybe have one baby’
- 5 Dutch paedophile club to fight their ban at the European Court of Human Rights
Malaysia Airlines flight MH17 crash: 'Nine Britons, 23 Americans and 80 children' feared dead after Boeing passenger jet is 'shot down' near Ukraine-Russia border
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Vladimir Putin is given 'one last chance' to end hostilities in Ukraine
The 'scroungers’ fight back: The welfare claimants battling to alter stereotypes
The truth about conspiracy theories is that some require considering
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Ukrainian military jet was flying close to passenger plane before it was shot down, says Russian officer
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Massive rise in sale of British arms to Russia