Wenger angered by officials after Arsenal draw

Click to follow
The Independent Football

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger was upset with the match officials after his team conceded an equaliser in the fifth minute of stoppage time at Sunderland.

Darren Bent struck to cancel out Cesc Fabregas' fortuitous early goal in Saturday's Barclays Premier League clash - after a minimum of four minutes of added time had been signalled by fourth official Martin Atkinson.

The Gunners played the final 35 minutes with 10 men following Alex Song's dismissal for his second caution and in that time Tomas Rosicky missed a 74th-minute penalty.

The north London club were made to pay when Bent struck and when asked about the amount of added time, Wenger said: "If you have a watch, you can control. It's as simple as that.

"In the second half, we played very well. We were, even with 10 men, in control of the game and unfortunately in the 95th minute, they equalised."

He told ESPN: "It was outside the four minutes.

"I know the referee can give more than four, it's a minimum of four minutes. But in the four minutes nothing happened to justify the extension of the time.

"But I cannot do anything about that."

Sunderland counterpart Steve Bruce was thrilled with the draw but empathised with Wenger, saying: "It's never easy to take when you concede in the last 10 seconds.

"I know how he feels - it has happened to us eight times in the 15 months I have been here and it is very difficult to take."

Tottenham won at White Hart Lane in the Premier League for the first time this season but had to come from a goal down to beat Wolves 3-1.

Steven Fletcher shocked the hosts just before half-time before Rafael van der Vaart converted a penalty in the 77th minute.

Roman Pavlyuchenko fired Spurs ahead nine minutes later before Alan Hutton fortuitously netted in stoppage time.

Relieved boss Harry Redknapp said: "I'd be a liar sitting here saying I always knew we were going to come back and win it."

Opposite number Mick McCarthy believed Wolves only had themselves to blame saying: "We were certainly the architects of our own downfall by allowing them to open us up and then get the penalty."

West Brom also came from a goal down to beat Birmingham 3-1.

Birmingham took the lead from Cameron Jerome's tap-in before Scott Dann's own goal levelled matters.

Goals from Peter Odemwingie and Jonas Olsson sealed victory for the Baggies.

New Aston Villa boss Gerard Houllier watched on from the stands as his side were held to a 1-1 home draw by Bolton.

Ashley Young fired Villa ahead with a 25-yard free-kick but Kevin Davies levelled from close range.

Houllier is now in full charge of Villa and will lead the team on Wednesday night in their Carling Cup clash with Blackburn.

Blackburn will go into that fixture on the back of a 1-1 draw with Fulham at Ewood Park.

Christopher Samba headed into an open net after El-Hadji Diouf appeared to block Fulham goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer, but the visitors got an equaliser from Clint Dempsey's header.

Everton remain winless after new Newcastle signing Hatem Ben Arfa scored the only goal at Goodison Park with a 25-yard strike.

West Ham claimed their first point of the season with a 1-1 draw at Stoke.

The Hammers went ahead through Scott Parker before Kenwyne Jones headed his second goal in as many games.

West Ham coach Paul Groves said of the draw: "It is tinged with a little bit of disappointment, because I felt after the first half we could have perhaps gone in 2-0 up and then they scored early on in the second half."