Wenger dismisses Bentley talk of Walcott's departure
Friday 07 March 2008
Arsène Wenger reacted with annoyance yesterday to David Bentley's claim that the striker Theo Walcott may have to "look elsewhere" if he is to achieve regular first-team football. "I don't give a big importance to his opinion," the Arsenal manager said of Bentley. "I don't know why one player should incite another to leave his club. It's not his job."
Bentley left Arsenal in frustration for Blackburn Rovers on a permanent deal just over two years ago – having made only five first-team appearances and just one in the Premier League. The 23-year-old has become one of the few players to do so whose career has blossomed since, recently being selected for Fabio Capello's first England team.
Wenger, however, said that Bentley had stepped down a level after leaving. "When you are at one of the biggest clubs in the world you have to accept competition," he added. "If you accept it, it makes you better. If you move down you are not at the top. I believe Theo will establish himself there."
Walcott is still just 18 and, although Wenger has admitted in the past that the former Southampton player, whose fee could rise to £12m, has not progressed as quickly as he had expected, he added: "He has one big quality, when he comes on he has a big impact. He's not there completely when he starts, but soon he will have the same impact when he starts."
Walcott showed that "impact" with his contribution to the Champions League victory over Milan this week, although he will miss Sunday's league meeting with Wigan after suffering a thigh injury during a practice match yesterday against Colorado Rapids at Arsenal's training ground. Abou Diaby is also injured with a "calf problem".
Indeed, Wenger likened the contribution he eventually expects from Walcott to how Nicolas Anelka blossomed at the club. "Between 18 and 20 a player really develops, he said. "I took Anelka at 17 and a half and for the first four months he looked completely behind the team. Within another two months he was in front of Ian Wright. Every day goes for you at that age."
Speaking at the topping out ceremony for the development of the former Highbury Stadium into a complex of 700 apartments, the Arsenal managing director, Keith Edelman, claimed he was confident the club would hold on to players such as Cesc Fabregas because "there is more to life than just money. A lot of our players like being here. The club is very stable."
Swedish stars ask fans for £195 pledges on crowd-funding website
techLuke Blackall reports on precision engineered prams and babygros that monitor your child 24-7
Latest in Sport
World Cup 2014: Football Manager developers predict the team of the tournament - but which England player makes it into the XI?
Roy Keane omits Paul Scholes, Gary Neville and Ryan Giggs from 'greatest' Manchester United team
Gareth Bale puts five-bedroom Essex mansion up for sale at £2.2m following £86m switch from Tottenham to Real Madrid
Former England captain Mick Mills 'turned a blind eye' to initiation ceremony abuse at Stoke City, which included sexual assault dubbed 'The Glove'
Manchester United player ratings: The best (and worst) performers for David Moyes during the season so far
- 1 Nelson Mandela memorial: ‘Bogus’ interpreter made mockery of Barack Obama’s tribute
- 3 Kenyan politician Mike Sonko left red-faced after photoshopping himself next to Nelson Mandela
- 5 Selfie at funeral: Cameron squeezes in on Obama snap at Mandela memorial