West Brom midfielder Zoltan Gera out for the rest of the season
Wednesday 30 November 2011
West Brom midfielder Zoltan Gera has been ruled out for the rest of the season due to a knee injury sustained in Saturday's game against Tottenham.
The club have today confirmed the 32-year-old midfielder has ruptured the anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee.
Gera suffered the injury in the 21st minute of Saturday's 3-1 Barclays Premier League defeat by Tottenham.
After meeting with a surgeon, he will undergo an operation to repair his knee on Saturday.
The club said: "The usual rehabilitation time for this injury is six to nine months and the club's medical and sports science department will now give Zoltan our full support with a view to him being fit for the start of next season."
The Hungary captain initially joined West Brom from Ferencvaros in 2004, making more than 150 appearances before signing for Fulham four years later.
He moved back to the West Midlands over the summer, signing a two-year contract.
Latest in Sport
- 1 All Blacks Aaron Cruden misses New Zealand flight after drinking session, has brilliant excuse
- 2 Kim Kardashian 'nude photos' leaked on 4chan weeks after Jennifer Lawrence scandal
- 3 'F*ck it, I quit': TV reporter Charlo Greene quits live on air in spectacular fashion
- 4 Alicia Keys leaks nude photo 'to create a kinder and more peaceful world'
- 5 Clothes store Joy angers mental health campaigners with Twitter exchange on bipolar disorders
Scotland could still declare independence – even without referendum, says Alex Salmond
Scottish referendum results: Cross-party consensus collapses amid Tory-Labour spat on the 'English question'
Hilary Mantel 'should be investigated by police' over Margaret Thatcher assassination story, says Lord Bell
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'
Plebgate MP Andrew Mitchell called officer a 'little s**t', claim court documents 'exposing ex-Chief Whip's 'record of abusing police'
Archbishop of Canterbury admits doubts about existence of God