Wigan boss Roberto Martinez delighted with Victor Moses
Monday 20 August 2012
Wigan boss Roberto Martinez praised Victor Moses for his display against the team who have courted him all summer but so far failed to match the Latics' asking price.
The winger's efforts were not enough to prevent Chelsea opening the season with a 2-0 victory at the DW Stadium, but he caused problems all afternoon and showed why the Blues are keen to take him to Stamford Bridge.
Martinez admitted it was a risk to play the 21-year-old and again hit out at the transfer rules that allow transactions to take place until the end of August.
He said: "You could go through every dressing room in the country and you'll always get one or two players who don't know where their future lies.
"I don't understand why we put our players in this situation. The transfer window is a fantastic part of our game, but it should close before the official games start. I think it's disrespectful to the fans and very unfair on the human part of the footballers.
"In the last 10 days Victor has got himself focused and he wanted to help the team. His performance showed that, but it's unfair to ask any player to cope with that mental pressure."
Wigan have so far stuck to their guns over the fee they are demanding for Moses, and Martinez added: "We haven't had an offer that matches his valuation so we haven't had to make a decision.
"Victor knows that if (a club) doesn't want a player enough, it's not a good move. I'm delighted Victor's here, I'm delighted he showed he's desperate to perform for our team."
While Moses' future stays up in the air, the real star of the show yesterday was Eden Hazard, a player Chelsea reportedly splashed out £32million on this summer to bring him to the Premier League from Lille.
With less than two minutes gone, the Belgian turned in midfield and played in Branislav Ivanovic for the opener, and in the seventh minute it was two as Hazard was felled in the area by Ivan Ramis and Frank Lampard dispatched the penalty.
Chelsea boss Roberto Di Matteo also gave a debut to Oscar, who replaced his fellow new signing in the second half, but it was Hazard who earned the manager's praise afterwards.
Di Matteo said: "He showed all his quality, he was outstanding. He combined very well with his team-mates, was a threat, exactly what we were looking for.
"He's got great technical ability. He's got a burst of pace as well, he can play with his back to goal, and he's got a lot that he can bring to our team."
Latest in Sport
Radamel Falcao exclusive: Forward says joining Manchester United is a 'dream come true'
Arsenal are 'short of greatness' - so take a gamble in the transfer market, urges Terry Venables
Arsenal transfer news: Ray Parlour urges Arsene Wenger to make late move for Edinson Cavani
WWE Raw preview: Will John Cena continue to defy the threat of Brock Lesnar?
Petr Cech transfer latest: Chelsea goalkeeper posts cryptic tweet amid exit talk
- 1 Al Pacino on suffering from depression: 'It can last and it's terrifying'
- 2 Half of young women unable to ‘locate vagina’ and 65% find it difficult to say the word
- 3 Saudis risk new Muslim division with proposal to move Mohamed’s tomb
- 4 A teacher speaks out: 'I'm effectively being forced out of a career that I wanted to love'
- 5 Mexican woman becomes world’s 'oldest person' at 127
Rotherham child sex abuse scandal: Labour Home Office to be probed over what Tony Blair's government knew - and when
What do immigrants really think of Britain? Polish immigrant's Reddit post goes viral
Ashya King: Parents of five-year-old boy refused permission to visit him in hospital and denied bail at Spanish court
With Douglas Carswell joining Ukip, my party has taken another giant step forward
When elitism grips the top of British society to this extent, there is only one answer: abolish private schools
Ashya King: 'Cruel NHS has not given us the treatment we need', says father of five-year-old with brain tumour who fled to Spain