Wigan facing defensive crisis ahead of visit of QPR
Premier League team news
Wigan boss Roberto Martinez is set to be without four central defenders for tomorrow's key Barclays Premier League clash with QPR at the DW Stadium.
Antolin Alcaraz (groin) and Ivan Ramis (hamstring) are injured while captain Gary Caldwell and Maynor Figueroa are both suspended after the Football Association rejected Wigan's appeal against the latter's red card in Monday's 3-0 defeat by Newcastle.
The Latics also have other injury problems, with midfielder Ben Watson (broken leg), wingers Albert Crusat (knee) and Ryo Miyaichi (ankle) and playmaker Shaun Maloney (groin) all sidelined.
Provisional squad: Al Habsi, Pollitt, Beausejour, Boyce, McCarthy, McArthur, Kone, Boselli, Gomez, Jones, McManaman, Fyvie, Lopez, Stam, Di Santo, Golobart.
With the top nine players in the men’s world tennis rankings all missing this tournament to prepare ...
by Gareth Purnell
21 May 2013 02:01 AM
When cyclists look back on their careers spanning many hundreds (and in some cases possibly thousand...
by Martin Ayres
20 May 2013 06:12 PM
As England’s new football strip – made by Nike – is revealed today, new research shows the English F...
by Alex Miller
20 May 2013 04:52 PM
- 1 The ‘Beverly Hills’ of Surrey pays more income tax than big cities of the North
- 2 Austerity has hardened the nation's heart
- 3 Tottenham to smash pay scale with £150,000-a-week contract in attempt to tie Gareth Bale to club
- 4 The moral case on tax avoidance is overwhelming - and we all know Google wants to do the right thing
- 5 Sam Wallace: The second coming of Jose Mourinho at Chelsea will be a reunion that can only end in tears
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.