Wigan manager Roberto Martinez plans to dispute fine
Friday 05 October 2012
The Wigan manager, Roberto Martinez, is considering an appeal against a £10,000 fine from the Football Association after claiming he will never blame a referee for a defeat but feels he should have a right to express his opinion on decisions.
The FA found Martinez guilty of misconduct for criticising referees after his side's 4-0 Premier League loss at Manchester United last month, after which he suggested Michael Oliver had been biased against his team.
Martinez accepts his comments could be interpreted that way but feels he was misconstrued after making a wider point about getting decisions against big clubs.
"I think it is important after a match you can be honest and have a pure assessment of the game. That is what I did," he said.
Latest in Sport
Chelsea vs Tottenham: Eden Hazard exclusive interview - All is rosy in the garden of Eden
Arsenal vs Monaco: Theo Walcott 'involved in spat' with fans after Champions League defeat
It's time to stop the 'small club' jibes after Chelsea signed £200m Yokohama deal
After record-breaking £5.136bn Premier League TV deal, why are Everton the only British club to win in Europe?
Robbie Savage avoids driving ban - because he would get 'accosted' too much if he had to use public transport
- 1 Forget 'The Dress': Here are five of the biggest news stories you might have missed
- 2 The black and blue dress: Makers considering a white and gold version
- 3 PornHub turns masturbation into energy in bid to save the planet
- 4 The remarkable archaeological underwater discovery that could open up a new chapter in the study of European and British prehistory
- 5 MH370: 'Putin ordered plane to be flown to Kazakhstan space port,' conspiracy theory claims
New theory could prove how life began and disprove God
Half of Ukip voters say they are prejudiced against people of other races
'Cash for access' scandal: Sir Malcolm Rifkind says 'unrealistic' for MPs to live on £67,000 salary
This is what it's like to be dead, according to a guy who died for a bit
'Jihadi John': CAGE representative storms off Sky News accusing Kay Burley of Islamophobia
Aqsa Mahmood branded a 'disgrace' by her parents after claims she recruited three UK girls flying to Middle East